1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic 270 head!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lobsterdeth, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    Ok Taaku Beisu, I've got a dilemma here.

Some guy is offering me a 270 head for 80 bucks (probably a ton less if he accepts my trade!), he used it on bass.

The thing is, I just found out, that it's a guitar amp.

Has anyone had any experiences with it? I looked it up on youtube and found nothing. I've been reading reviews on Harmony Central, some bassists love it, few hate it.

They keep using words like LOUD and BASS and MIDS which is what got me really interested in this amp, most of the guitar reviews complain that it's got too much bass.

Thanks for your time! Please answer asap!

Edit: I also use lots of effects, lol.

[​IMG]

2. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    I'm probably wrong, but I thought the 270 was their guitar head and the 370 was their bass head.

3. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    Not only are you not wrong, but you didn't read my post!

4. vintageampeg

vintageampeg

Feb 2, 2005
    GRAB IT! While it's not quite the same as a 370 it's an amazing and powerful amp that's perfectly suited for bass. I've had a couple of these.

And if you like a lot of effects you may really appreciate the reverb & fuzz. Although it's not a great fuzz sound.

That's a steal!

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I know that in some cases, the only difference between guitar and bass versions of Acoustic heads was the addition of reverb units, different range on Graphic Equalizer etc. on the guitar version. Not sure if this applies to the 270/370 though.

6. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    It does apply, I saw the manuals for both, they're the same except for the ranges.

Also, thanks vintageampeg!

7. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Listen to him, he knows his stuff!

8. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    Well, thanks a ton guys! I convinced the guy to trade it straight up for my Acoustic B20 combo amp, so all is good.

I'll keep you updated on it!

9. Sounds like a good deal!

10. VegaV77

VegaV77

Nov 13, 2008
    its worth 80 bucks regardless if you dont like it resell it thats too good a deal to go to waist

11. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    Alright guys, it's almost tomorrow when I go pick it up, so maybe someone with some experience with this amp could tell me of a good 4x10 or something that makes a good match with this?

12. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    Acoustic amps seem to go real well with Acoustic cabs. Try to find a nice old one and you'll be pretty happy with it!

13. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    Well I haven't seen any old acoustic cabs lately, so I was wondering if it might match an Ampeg or a Fender, which I see almost regularly.

14. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    I use my Acoustics on Ampegs - works well. But they will power anything that can handle the punch they put out. Try to stay efficient though.

You traded a modern POS B20 for a vintage 270! That is a steal - assuming it is in good shape.

If you get bored of it - let me know ;-)

15. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I love the 270 head.
    I think it's MUCH better for bass than the 370. I always thought those to be very muddy. That 270 is a loud SOB.
    Back in the 70's I had a Marshall stack (2 412's)for bass (yea ,I know and yes it was a plexi)
    and my buddy used a 270 stack for guitar(2 412's).
    That 270 just blew me away. Great amp.

16. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I own a 370 and have owned the 450 which was a combo bass/guitar head; had a switch on the front that changed overall EQ.

This will be a great cheap bass amp although I don't believe these old school amps are as crystal clear as modern SS gear.

You will want an effecient 4 ohm cabinet if you want volume; they are not as powerful as everyone remember from back in the day.
    I'm guessing between 200 and 250 watts and not a very stiff power supply; kinda saggy wide open.
    Very cool though.

17. Lobsterdeth

Lobsterdeth

Jan 6, 2008
    Tijuana
    I got it! Here are some pics!
    It's missing some knobs lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Man, when people say something's heavy, they mean it. I went "well I'm guessing it's pretty heavy", but I had no idea.

Now all I need is a footswitch and a cab!

It says 400 watts on the back. D:

I'm so excited, can't wait to use it.

18. that's probably the amount of power it draws from the wall.

Very cool though, I bet it will sound great!

Wonder what the "Monitor outputs" underneath the speaker jacks are for?

19. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The 400 watts, as megadan said, is the AC input. The output to the speakers will be in the 200-250 range as Jim C stated. The monitor outputs are similar to effect sends, they can be used to drive another power amp or to send a signal to a DI or board.

20. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Yeah, lobsterdeath, the 400 watts that you're talking about is not the amps power output. Go to http://acoustic.homeunix.net and you'll find a wealth of information including questions and answers on many Acoustic rigs and some other areas too. Good score on the 270. :cool: