Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic 2x15, Sunn 15+horn

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christos, Feb 3, 2001.

1. I recently saw these two cabs at a second hand store and I have to admit I was in shock when I saw the prices to say the least...... I was under the impresasion that these cabs were very pricy but the Sunn was $99.99 and the Acoustic was $179.99, now grant it they were covered in dust and looked like they have been played, but I played the Acoustic and it sounded fine both speakers responded perfectly.... The Sunn is pretty funky looking, I didn't get the chance to play it but it looks cool.... It has a 45 degree angle on the 15 and a large horn on top...... There was no major bruises or dents on either, can somebody tell me if these are fair prices, or what they might have seen them for at other places...... I seriously thought they would be more expensive.....

2. I had an acoustic 215 (i forget the model #) in the 70's to 80's. Lemme tell ya, it was the best cabinet I have used. The guy I sold it too still has it, and won't sell it back.
    It had a tremendous throw, lots of decibels. If it sounds good, I'd pay that for it.
    Unfortunately, can't tell you much about the Sunn except that they did make some good equipment.

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    If that Acoustic sounded good (no driver damage) and was in good condition, I'd buy it on the spot! I think a lot of great new amp companies have come into the bass world, but the loss of Acoustic was really unfortunate, IMO.

- Mike

4. I've got an early 70's Sunn 2x25 and it sounds great - I paid about $225 for it when I got it.

That's all I have to say...

Chuck

5. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    2x25? Wow!! I know Hartley used to make 24" woofers, and EV made a 30" model, but 25"? Cool! That must be a huge cabinet, though. ;)

- Mike

6. That WOULD be a huge cabinet!

I actually meant 2x15, though. Sorry to burst your bubble!

How much power do you think it would take to drive a 25 inch speaker? I can't even imagine (well,I praobably can, but...)

I did for a while, though run my stuff through a P.A. amp and a Peavey 3020 - 2 15's and 2 10's plus a horn AND a mackie 18" subwoofer. Now THAT was BASS!

I decided that was overkill, though, so I put all the stuff back to use as a P.A.

Don't trust me - I get confused a lot...
    Chuck