1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

acoustic 301 cab ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toobalicious, Apr 21, 2009.

1. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    hiya TB.

i have opportunity to get hooked up with a 301 cabinet, but it has some issues. mostly, it is missing parts. like ALL of the speaker mounting brackets! does anyone have a picture, part number, etc for these things? would a "standard" sort of deal work ok? (like the ones at parts express). the cerwin vega driver doesnt have any screw holes :eek: and so *must* be secured in this way. as it is, it leaks and rattles like crazy with moderate power, but the driver seems to be sound, and the rest of the cab pretty forkin solid. any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

is there anything else i should know? what is a good price for one in decent used condition? it has scars and rips, but nothing seems compromised structurally.

i was thinking it would be a pretty menacing combo wth my bassman 100 :bassist:

here it is, front and rear:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    IIRC, they're just bent pieces of metal. Any pro-quality clamp kit would work. Insist on metal!!!!

I've purchased two 301s in the past 6 or 7 years...I think that they were about $150 each. It's been a few years so I don't know what they're going for now.

3. Kano2864212

Kano2864212

Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield, MA
    Get it! I just picked mine up for $100 but it was in way worse shape than yours. If speaker mounts are the only problem then any price is woth it, they sound so good!

4. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    thanks for the replies. ive been browsing places like parts express, and think i have found stuff that will work out ok. it also will probably need the holes for the back panel to be doweled and redrilled, or at least, have some bigger screws installed. the cups for the amp feet are also missing, but no big deal to me, as i dont actually own an acoustic head. you caqnt see the shape of the bottom from the pix, but it apparently lived on concrete or something, as there seems to be some evidence of moisture. also, the tolex down there has deteriorated and is torn. he is definitely asking more than $100, even as it is! we are currently doing the email back-n-forth thing, trying to smoke out a deal. was hoping it was tight, and not a fixer-upper... but maybe i will still get it.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    They usually are. So are the white graphic EQ knobs from 370 heads. There must be a mountain of those things out there somewhere...

Count Bassie likes this.
  6. 4001Chaser

4001Chaser

Apr 16, 2009
    There is an unofficial Acoustic site on the net. Search for unofficial acoustic control home page. Lots of info and parts information there. I have a 75 Acoustic 370 with 301 cabinet. I used the head a lot during the 80s. The bad side of the 301 is that the cabinet is a folded horn configuration. It takes a lot of distance for the sound wave to form. By the time I achieved a stage volume that I could hear, I was killing the people in tha back part of the room. An alternative would be to use the 301 with another cabinet that the player can monitor with.

7. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    heya 4001 chaser. i vaguely remembered stumbling across that site some time back--- thanks for reminding me of it.

found a pic that clearly answers my question..... now to try and figure out where i could actually *find* these, or something similar. parts express has some metal grill mounts that seem like they are similar, but not the same.l still might work...

[​IMG]

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Here are some that a Google search turned up:

http://www.realproaudio.com/metal-speaker-clamp-p-922.html

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--RAXCKW

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPEAKER-CLAMPS-HEAVY-DUTY-STEEL-LOT-OF-40-SPECIAL-BUY_W0QQitemZ220376025195QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item220376025195&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A30

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-RAX-CKW

and by going directly to Orange County Speaker's website

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=genem&Product_Code=34-213

9. Acquistapace

Acquistapace

Feb 28, 2009
    I *finally* got my hands on a 301 with a matching 450 head. The cabinet is worth the work, I assure you! :bassist:

10. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    When I was a young lad I had a picture of these stuck on my wall. I was totally in awe of the 18" horn compared to tiny little 10" speakers. Of course I finally saw the light and bought ALL of Eminence's 10" speakers. BOB

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The one with the 371 (370 plus 301) and the 270 guitar stack (two 4x12)? That and probably a photo of an SVT with two 8x10s graced my walls as well (as did Farah). :D

It was a religious experience for me the first time I came face to face with 371s and Marshall stacks (at Bay Music in Saginaw Michigan) or an SVT (at Bay City (MI) Music Center). It's been 35 years and I can still remember how they smelled!!! :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :cool:

12. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    The actual head number actually eludes me as it was so-so long ago. a 360? I know it was a solid state unit and it was around 1969 or 1970. I was in tenth grade in 1970.

I had played a brand new SVT in 1969 ish 1970 at Schmitt Music in Robbinsdale, MN. I was with a sales guy and I turned the thing to blast for 1 second and the manager came wheeling out of his office and put a stop to it.

I was grossed out by the 10" speakers as I had just gotten rid of a Kalamazoo Bass-30 with two ten inch speakers for a Bassman with two 15". But I would have been sold if I could have played longer. I was going BIGGER not staying the same.

Schmitt wasn't an Acoustic dealer so I never got a chance to play the 301 cab. Still haven't to this day. The only Acoustic rig I have played EVER is the B600/810 current model one. Maybe before I die I'll get to do that with one of you guy's rigs. See if we can invert the cone... Nice.

But maybe dreams are never supposed to be fulfilled?

BOB

13. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    well, this is not what you are talking about, but....................
    acousticshit.

14. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    which would be fine and good, so long as something like this is on the other side:
    (my ridiculous fender overload gui**** "rig"--- gotta use the bassman for something, no? its not like most of us havent chained a bunch of crap together for the hell of it......)
    STA74967-1.

too bad i can never actually use something as silly as either of these.......

[/gratuitous_photo_spam]

15. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Errrrr, well yeah thats the kinda thing that gets ALL my attention. Seven Cabs... (unless there's more out of the picture) Thats a good bunch of boom. Now a guy just needs a RADIAL JD-7 to chain them all together. I could put mine under my arm; where do I need to go to plug it in? Maybe dreams can be fulfilled on this jagged rock!

If the owner of this stuff needs to play an AMPEG of similar size to make it fair, I'll bring mine....
    I need to get my studio built so I have as nice a room like this to display and play my rig.

SEMPER AMPLIO

BOB

16. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Bob (rbonner), I'm not sure if the owner of that gear has more 301s, but iirc he has about the same number of Acoustic 361s too (the preamp/powered cabinet that you mentioned).

Speaking of wall art...next to the Acoustic, Ampeg and Farah posters, I had that Hendrix poster (with the Tele neck equipped Strat...and Jimi playing through a wall of Fender Showman amps) too. Ah, those were good times (that I'd never want to actually relive)!

17. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I didn't mind those days too much, I was in 9th grade in 69 when Hendrix hit the top of his form... Woodstock... I was having a blast back then. Like I said, I dont remember the head with the 301 cab... I just had pictures of it from the ads etc. All stuff to GAS over. Dad came home with a Farrah poster and tossed it at me sometime late in HS, she wasn't my cup of tea. From about 1967 - 1972 I thought the most beautiful girl in the world was DEDE LIND... BOB

18. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks to Google, I now know who she is...

19. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    William deep in the reaches of my archive I still have the big Playboy 1967 and 1968 desktop calendars. I have had them all this time. Dede is still going to Glamourcon and showing off her stuff and she's like 60 yo +. Shoot, my OL stopped doing that stuff after December 2004. The AVN in 2004 was our last convention even though some of her girlfriends tried to get her to Glamourcon in Chicago a couple years ago.

For you guys who aren't up on that stuff Glamourcon is the NAMM of adult models and yes you can go!

BOB

20. Acquistapace

Acquistapace

Feb 28, 2009
    Just picked up a 301, matching head with mine is a 450, supposedly that's how it's been all these years. And it's *perfect*, in just about every way. Only thing I could ask for right now is another one. :bassist: