Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic 360/361...yes or no?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by finch1868, Feb 14, 2006.

1. finch1868

finch1868

Feb 14, 2006
    I have a chance to pick one of these up for $350 from an old-time rocker. If you are familiar with this beast you know the specs and its history. Here's my problem...I drive a Honda and there is no way this thing is going to fit. But if this is one of those "must have" vintage amps I'll get it and have my drummer lug it around in his truck for gigs. My other problem is I'm not sure I need something this loud. I've never heard one but everybody says that it peels your skin off at about 30-40 ft. Thus far I've only played bars and clubs where a single 15in combo works fine without having to run a direct out. I just don't know if this is a great deal on a faded gem or a rip-off on some well organized fire wood.

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    At that price you better buy it, or send me the guys phone number. I used to play out of one back in the early 70's. They are just the sound that you hear when you hear Jaco. They are not ALL that loud however. 360Watts, just like the number on it says. The folded horn cabs DO project the sound a long way however. You may, like I did, have trouble hearing yourself on stage, while the bartender is keeping bottles from vibrating off the shelf at the back wall of the club. Thats what I always found. They ARE a great amp for bigger situations, but are limited, because of the guts of the amp being in the bottom. The head is just a pre-amp. Newer set-ups with power amps and preamps , of course have alot more power than these, but if you want to sound like Jaco, you have the right amp. I have seen the old Zepplin DVD that is out, and Jones uses one in concert too. I also had the 370-371 set-up. the only difference is that one had all the guts in the head. They both sound just the same. The 370 had a Graphic EQ, but it made no real sound difference. If you don't buy--send the number my way please!

3. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I believe the street price for these is around $700 to $1000 depending on condition. So, if the amp you are describing is in working condition, the price would be very attractive.

The 360 and SVT 810 both have tone which is unique. You can model it, but nothing is like the real thing. 360's match up extremely well with Jazz basses, because they have huge girth and rumble and a lower mid clank which really sets off the single coils. I've played mine in Holiday Inns, small clubs etc, and was always happy with the tone. Also, they are actually bi-amped, and have an output for a higher frequency cab. Combining one with, say, a 4x6 or 4x8 will give you the voice of bass god.

All that said, they require large vehicles and take up space in the garage when not in use - which is why mine may be going up for sale soon. So, you will likely love the sound, but get tired of the logistics.

4. pj-mike

pj-mike

Nov 22, 2005
    Bridgewater, MA
    I used a 360 during the mid 1970s playing 6 and 7 nights a week in large clubs and it never let me down. It was loud, deep and had plenty of mids. If its in good working order you'll be the envy of every bass player who heres you. The double folded horn speaker enclosure shape seemed to give it more power than you'd expect it should have, think wave-guide.
    I used a 10 band graphic EQ in front of it just to cut whever frequency resonated with the stage.
    Oh, I almost forgot! They weigh a ton!

Enjoy

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'd have to pass. As a stage rig, an SVT will eat it's lunch and you don't have a 30 foot hole in front of the cab... Actually, I probably wouldn't pass. I'd add it to the collection of stuff laying about and one day come to my senses and sel it in attempt to regain floor space ...

I have some level of nostalgia for the 360. I played through them quite a few times. Never owned one although I owned other, later acoustic amps. They do have a unique sound and they are loud as hell in a large room but they are hell on a mix. As amps went, the SVT ate it's lunch ...

6. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    SVT's are great, yes, but you can't get one for 350 bucks!

7. Buy it right now, because even if the cabinet is too big for you to use, you'll be able flip the amp for four times as much as you paid for it if it's in good shape.
    Cold-blooded, but true, and you'll learn something about concert bass rig technology in the process.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    True dat. Not many rigs at $350 let alone something like a 360. If it's in decent shape it's worth the buy and sell. As rig's go... it's more or less worthless today, except for the resale potential to the next sucker. There will be one too. Right up until the pyramid collapses. What do you figure that point to be ? $1000 ? $1500 ? $2000 Fact is that a K buck on a 350 investment for couple of years isn't exactly a bad return.

and what the hell, one more time around the Whippin' Post!
    I don't think Berry actually used a 360. Wasn;t he an Ampeg guy ? The 360 just nails that slight mute sound though... percussive to say the least.

9. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    If it's in good shape and you like vintage bass tone, buy it. If you don't like it, you can sell it for more than you bought it for and make some serious dough, provided that it's in good working condition (and in my case, all original). I bought one for a great price and restored it with the correct tolex, grille cloth, and various metal parts (corners, etc.) and made back a good bit more than what I paid for it after I decided that it wasn't the amp for me. I traded mine for in-store credit at the Atlanta Bass Gallery and put that money towards the cab that I always wanted, the Accugroove El Whappo, and I couldn't be more satisfied with my decision :D. If it's not the ideal sound you're looking for, you can probably make a pretty penny for it later on. Also, I'm sure they'll just keep increasing in value due to how rare they are. So yeah, a quality 360 for a good price is like gold, at least in my experience.