Acoustic 360, Bassman 100, or Ampeg Fliptop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lexx Wylde, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Lexx Wylde

Lexx Wylde

Jan 27, 2006
    Hey all,
    I have a '68 Bassman 50, and I love it. But I needed more power so I invested in a Ampeg B2R and its ok but I want to get the old tube amp sound. Which of these amps is better: Acoustic 360, Bassman 100, or Ampeg Fliptop?

I am on limited funds at the moment so what would be the best for the money?

Also what do you think i could get for the Ampeg B2R and a DBX 163X compressor?

2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    The Acoustic 360 is about 175 lbs. of pure tone that is all transistors talkin. No tube in it. It stands as one of the several examples that transistors can definitely cut it (although it is even more toneful with a tube mic pre up front). If you can get one and can move it, definitely check it out.
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Not so sure the Fliptop would do it. They aren't known for being very loud.

I am a Bassman partisan. I love those amps. You can try a 100, but I'm not so sure how much more you need. Might not be enough, though paired with the right cabinet, it can be pretty devstatingly loud. I've gone up against a loud drummer and a Marshall JCM2000 halfstack before and held my own (2x10, 1x15). I'm having a 2x12 / 2x6 built for it right now that is supposed to be very efficient.

No experience with the 360, but common sense says that it's a totally different amp than what you're used to.

I guess count this as a Bassman 100 vote.
  4. Lexx Wylde

Lexx Wylde

Jan 27, 2006
    Can you run a Bassman 100 at 4 ohms? Because my 50 only will run at 8 ohms.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you really want old school tube tone that is loud enough to cut it, get a vintage Ampeg SVT or SVT II, or the new VR (though that would be the most expensive option) and pair it with a Bergantino 610 or vintage Ampeg 810. Not sure if its in the price range though... Oh, and the Mesa Boogie Bass 400+ is basically a Bassman pre with much powerful output section, and would sound a lot like your Bassman.
  6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    4 ohms is a-ok, and may be the only option. It says "4 ohms total load" on the back of it, so I'm playing it safe by using only a 4 ohm load with it.
  7. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Go with the Acoustic 360 I use a Acoustic 370 and love it. I get all the tone , and head space I need.