Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

acoustic 360 cab. anyone have any info?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by petalred, Feb 13, 2006.

1. petalred

petalred

Dec 6, 2004
    does anybody have any info on acoustic 360 cabs? how many speakers, and of what size? how many watts? how many ohms? what type of speakers, etc.? possibly even physical dimensions?

i have a friend who might be able to get his hands on one for me, and i've always liked the way acoustic cabs sound, so i was just curious. i currently use an 8ohm sunn 2x15, but it desperately needs replacing. would this be comparable?

2. petalred

petalred

Dec 6, 2004
    better make that a 420. it's a 420 cab.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd never heard of an Acoustic 420 cabinet until yesterday when I saw this on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acoustic-Contro...yZ121159QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

NCI, etc....just providing info...

Since it's a folded horn, it's likely that the high end will be diminished with respect to a pair of forward facing 15s. Folded horns also take some distance to focus; might not be too loud on stage but will stun small animals 20 to 30 feet away...

For more Acoustic info visit the Unoffical Acoustic Control Corp website... http://acoustic360.homeunix.net/

Have fun!!!

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I used the powered version of this cabinet when it first came out in the late 60s. It is very loud at a distance, but deceptively quiet close up. I never did like the sound of them even though they were all the rage back then. Very midrangey, boxy sound with no real high end because of the horn design. Also very heavy and hard to move around, although compared to your Sunn, probably no worse.

I could never get a warm sound out of it, no matter what eq I used on the Acoustic preamp (which the factory guys called the brain) that was part of the package. A pair of them stacked side by side on stage sounded a little bit better with a bit more bottom.

They were good for very large rooms back when you couldn't use the PA for amplifying your bass rig, but in my opinion, just didn't cut it for sound quality.

Before they were released I tested the prototype for the Acoustic guys several times in the Acoustic factory. I got number 3 when they went into production.