1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic 360 help needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eb3, Aug 29, 2007.

1. eb3

eb3

Sep 8, 2006
    Inherited an old 360 head and 2 cabs from a neighbor.

It's a whole different animal than the SVT I use. Can you help me with some initial settings and some tone suggestions.

Thanks. :hyper:

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    You won't get good sound out of it so the best setting is at my house.

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Try watching a video of Jaco on Youtube and seeing what his knobs are set at...?

(I hate you, btw)

(But not really)

(But seriously, yeah, I hate you)

4. 360 with 2 CABINETS !!!!!!. I HATE YOU. Those cabs are long throw and will sound kinda boxy up close. They will fill a stadium like nothing else. Set everything flat and try to get about 20 ft away from the cab to get a feel of how it really sounds. Those amps and cabs are still some of the best sounding bass equipment ever made.

5. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City

+1,000,000 Butchie Yost! O-<

Acoustic is/was/has always been the king of the bass amps! I used them for many years and can tell you that it just doesn't get any better than that.

As memory serves this old guy, I can recall having everything fairly flat but the treble a tad higher.....dunno if that helps but if (for whatever reason) you can't get them to sound as good as the crap on the market today you can always ship them to me....I guarantee I can make them sound righteous! Good acquisition!! These are highly sought after these days!!

6. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Congrats!

It is a TB requirement that you post photographic evidence ASAP!!! :D

Do you have the owner's manual? IIRC, the Bass and Treble are Boost only... Confirmed by this page from the link that lfh posted http://acoustic360.homeunix.net/images/manuals/360info.jpg

The 1/4 extension speaker jacks on the cabinets have a crossover to limit the low frequency output...would also allow you to connect a guitar cabinet (or similar) to enhance the high end.

Are the power cords original? Two-blade (ungrounded) plugs (assuming a US amp) can pose a safety hazard if the polarity is reversed and you touch a mic or another grounded metal object (or a bandmate, etc.)

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I really wished I had hooked up a 4x12 marshall cab I had to my 360. I did try a large carvin 4x12 but it had no character only highs so it was sterile. A good meaty cab would have given some mids and smooth treble and would have rounded out the rig. I would have been able to hear it somewhere within the contiguous United States. If I turned it up to 8 then I could hear it on stage but several techtonic events happened in later years 3000 miles away that I refuse to take responsibility for. At 8 it drowned out two drummers and two full marshall stacks easily, St. Albans coffee house. Wisconsin and Mass Ave. Wash. D.C. circa 1970.

9. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I can tell you from personal experience that it is a MUST to change the plugs if, in fact, they are still the old ones....nothing like walking up to a Mic to sing and arcing!!!

"Mitch Yost should get back in the game" O-<

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    In comparison to your SVT ? Best setting is Off... your SVT, assuming that it's a good one and that you have the 8x10 - is a much better sounding bass amp.

Way back there - 73 ? 74 ? (too many lost brain cells...) I moved off the 360 to an SVT. There was just no comparison tonally. The 360 was totally an also ran in spite of Jaco's use. Maybe in his hands a Behrgner through an Avatar would sound like the Trio of Doom, eh ?

Cool that you got the 360's but god know's where you'll ever use them. Low end PA support in a big park somewhere ?

11. I found the real secret to this amp is turning the variamp knob to number 3, and then boosting it all the way. Bass and Treble usually halfway to three-quarters.
    Also, from experience, you will get a different sound driving one cabinet (and one is all you'll need) instead of two.
    Good luck. That's one of the best bass amps of its day IMO.
    Oh, and do fix the power cords.
    :D

12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I must respectfully point out that saying an SVT is tonally "better" is a personal opinion.

I'm not trying to pick an argument. I also adore the SVT tone - very smooth, potent, etc etc. (although I like my Berg NV-610 just as much and more for its portability).

However, the 360 has a colored earthy clank to it (to my ears), which for some mixes is the pure stuff.

Also, while a lot of cats used multiple cabs :)eek: ), a huge tonal variation is possible using the biamp output into a hifi cab. I used to periodically run mine into a Flite A48MH with the 4 - 8" NEAR drivers. That was a whole different kettle of fish.

I ended up selling mine because I no longer have a vehicle with the space.

I keep voting for Jim Bergantino to produce a 360 alike cab as he did the SVT with the NV-610. But, then I'm just a lost voice in vastness of bass space...

13. yeah, i really dont have any advice,

i just hate you.

just kiddin

no not really.