Acoustic 360 questions....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Timm, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Timm

Jan 24, 2003
    Denmark, Struer
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of build a copy of the Acoustic 360 preamp. I found the schematic (and some cool modifications) on this web site:

Before I get started, I would like if you could answer some questions for me:

* How is the 360 compared to modern preamps? (Regarding noise, sound, functions ...)
    * Can I use my active bass (Warwick Thump 5) with the 360?
    * Is the 360 capable of driving a power amp such as the Yamaha CP-2000 or similar?

Replies with answeres, comments about the Acoustic 360 will be appreciated. :)

2. Timm

Jan 24, 2003
    Denmark, Struer
    Hi again,

Is anyone using a 360, or are they just to old/useless??

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As a former 360 user, my hunch is that the mojo of the 360 preamp goes best with 361 folded 18 amp/cabinet. I could be wrong, though. If you could post the technical output specs for the 360, I'm sure some of the techies here can advise you how well it would push today's power amps.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I would think that a modern preamp would be more quiet.

The fuzz sounds awful (to my ears) and the ETF is not too useful for tuning.

I don't recall whether the bass and treble are either all boost or all's one or the other. The multiamp midrange (if that's what they called it) is pretty cool.

I think as it stands, it doesn't have enough output to drive a modern power amp, but that's an easy fix...

In all honesty, I think you'd spend a lot of time and money putting something together that would sound OK, but not great. It's certainly possible if you really want to do it.

Is that link correct? I couldn't get there...

BTW, I'm not sure how close it is, but the Bass POD has a 360 model in it. You ought to try one of those out first and see if you even like the sound of the 360. Be sure to try other speaker models too as my guess is that the 360 amp model uses a 361 speaker model. Try finding a model of a cabinet close to what you own and see what you think.
  5. Timm

Jan 24, 2003
    Denmark, Struer
  6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Timm, looks like a great project. Not the techy type but I've been inside the pre of my old 360 and there for certain, was a ton of wasted space, so it is fathomable that you could build one in a stompbox. I tend to agree with Fuzzbass that part of the 360 mojo is the folded horn reversed 18" speaker cab. If your going to play large venues that puppy will get you out there. I've never heard the Pods 360 patch. Does it really sound like one??