Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

acoustic 360 reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevekim, May 9, 2001.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
  2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Thanks for posting it. I wonder about the company now, and what their resources are for making the products. Samick, I believe, owned the Acoustic name a few years ago, and was marketing their huge 26" woofer-loaded subwoofer (http://www.acoustic.mu/sbt26/) in a trade magazine. Interesting site, anyway.
    - Mike

3. I loved original Acoustics... I would like to hear this 215 cab.

4. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I'm the original owner of a 136, a large 1-15" combo, purchased with the famous lifetime warrantee. I wonder if they still honor the warrantee?

5. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Me too,I had a 136.still use it as a spare cabinet.
    since I'm the original owner I guess they owe me a new 15in.driver and a new head.makes sense to me.

6. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Jim:

My eleven year old uses the 136 but there's nothing wrong with it to challenge the warrantee.

I hope you'll try, the outcome would be very interesting to me.

After visiting there website and reading the discription of the 360 head I noticed it has two preamp sections which can be toggled via floor switch. Unless its been done before, what a great idea.

7. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    that footswitch would come in especially handy when switching between the fuzz and clean tone, i image.

i hope they bring back the 370 head next. and a smaller 1x15 cabinet would be nice. i can't wait to try out my 370 with one of those cabinets.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wonder how much that 26" sub lists for?

9. can anyone explain why these heads are so famous (besides that Jaco and JPJ used them)

10. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    the tone. they were one of the most coveted bass amps at the time, play one and you'll know what i mean. the 1x18 in the folded horn enclosure pumped out bass like no other amp could in those days. i think they still sound pretty damn good! today's bass amps are smaller, lighter, and sound great, but there's just something about those old acoustics that make me weak in the knees.

11. Because I used them!

*Waiting for the laughter to die down*

Really, they were well built, and sounded just amazing. The selling point for me was the sticker on the back of the 215 cab that read "CAUTION-db levels may exceed 120 at 3 meters" (or something close to that- I'm old and it's been a while).

But they were very punchy with great tone. I sold mine to a guy that stiil has both the amp and the cab. I have asked to buy them back, he still says no. Damn it.

I will be watching to see if any store in my area starts to carry the new ones, I definately will want to check it out.

12. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Hey guys! I still use my original Acoustic 360 about two gigs a month!!!!! Every place I use it the soundman FREAKS out and says it's the best bass amp he's ever heard. Of course the Mike Lull Modern 4 and Lakland Hollowbody don't hurt either!

13. why would they even reissue this? you can get the original rig for under $1000 easily. i see the heads floating around all the time in the $350 area. i also see the cabs quite frequently for under $500.

14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Zombie thread hungers for braaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnssssssssssss....... ;)

15. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Because most people DON'T see them floating around all the time in the $350 area. I've never seen them come anywhere near that price. The one and only 360/361 set I've encountered cost over $2000, probably more. The guy at the shop wouldn't go into specifics, but he did say that it was in the four-figures.

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Nice reanimation of very dead thread...

I sold a 301 (the same cab with out the flakey power amp), and a Marshal Major 200 watt bass head for about $500 in 1976...not each, $500 for both. My girlfriend and I were literally freezing to death.

BTW, that $500 in 1976 is $2020 in 2012 USD. Good luck find that stuff for $350, even in 2001.

17. 4StringShooter

4StringShooter Banned

Jun 26, 2011
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GBX Member #1
    I beg to differ..... I've got my eye on a 408. Thats the 4-15 monster. Im going to pair it with the new Acoustic B600 (600 watt ) head. It'll shake anything to pieces. I heard one in the 70s at a Band Jam, and loved the sound. At that time I was using a Acoustic 220 with a 4-12 Cab.:ninja:

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    +1

19. Geeeezzz......sure seems like a concerted effort on the part of some to get the word out on these bad boys.....

This is like the 5th thread that has been resurrected in the last couple of days.

Best way to get the word out? ADVERTISE!!!!