acoustic 360

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Samie, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey, I am looking for some pictures of the acoustic 360, o the versatone Pan-O-Flex. Didn't find them in google.

They are for a little documentation research project I am working on ;-)
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
  3. Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
  4. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Had a 360. It was great but lacked tube tone.Not great in small settings. It was a great large stage amp. Generally you and the band couldn't hear it on stage. For a lark it took on two drummers and two guitarists with Marshall 100 stacks. Cranked to 8 everyone heard it. (a three hundred seat room). It had this ext. speaker output which I didn't use which had a crossover for highs I should have tried a 4x12 marshall cab for that presence. This was in 1970. I know what Jaco did with them, the sound is in you hands, but those folded horns develop the sound way out there. You know for my taste Noel Redding with the Sunn 2000s'. Now that was the sound, roundwound grit with Motown boom and bottom. Yeah. Thanks.
  5. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks a lot, that picture will do. Now all I need is a picture of the versatone, and of course of the suns colliseum (am I asking for to much?).

I know these are old amps, but don't the makers have a website?
  6. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    here's the 360 pre-amp.
  7. stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    I've never played the 360, but i've got three 370 heads and one 301 cabinet. they've incredible sounding, extremely reliable amps. i sold my ampeg svt 4-pro to buy these amps a while back and i have no regrets. i've never had problems hearing myself onstage, although for smaller gigs i recommend using a smaller cabinet, the 301 cabinet is the heaviest cabinet i've ever seen. the bright switch on the 370 head really helps when using the 301 1x18 bottom. surprisingly, the 370/301 can sound extremely punchy.

if you need more pictures of acoustic stuff, i may be able to help.

what sort of research project are you going? sounds really cool.

8. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Nothing fancy, I here at work(sys admin) and between unix/linux/Nt tasks I like to surf a little and read all these news and groups info.

anyways, I also have a home studio project that is about to start producing real stuff and getting things out. I do everything from Dance, to R&B/Hip-hop,to pop etc. I am very happy with everything I have and the sound, however, the other day I had a Metal-rock session and I was really disapointed with the results off the bass.

That is when I set out to find something to add to my sound. I wanted something 1) flexible, to be used with a bass or a guitar or some dance synths or a bassdrum, 2) something easy to use, i like to work fast and on pay projects I don't mind using formula preset (eg u want this sound.. here, you got it)

That is when I came across all this digital simulation stuff. After getting my head blown up with pro's and cons I downloaded the BP's manual, which I found very interesting to read. So I started to collect some pictures and info on these amps and cabs just for fun.

I have come across this like carol kaye's site, which has great info. It turns out that finding some of this pictures is quite difficult. I have almost all the models but still no info nor pic on the versatone pan-oflex.

I havent' bought the BOD yet, and I haven't really heard it. When I finish collecting all the info I will post it on my site
  9. steeleyes

Apr 5, 2008
    My friend you cant go wrong with any model in the Acoustic family.
    I had an Acoustic 370 with two bottoms one with 2 15's and the other had 4 12's.
    I also have come to believe that that amp played a very important part in the style of most of the players from back in the day. I mean its like as greate as they are even Jaco & Graham who were two of the biggest inovators in bass history would not have sounded as good if not for the Acoustic amps. If you look at just bout any old picture of a group in concert back in the 60's to late 80's you will see Acoustic and not just bass amps lots of guitarist used them to.
    Go here for some fact and links to other sites
    Go here to see the amp
    They are coming out with a new line but dont know how good they will be. You can see the first models over at Muscians Friend
  10. bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    7 year old reply. Nice.

Whats the record for "time elapsed" on TB? or for that matter.... the internet in general? Is there like a question that has still gone unanswered from like, the first forum post back in the 60's or something?
  11. rarisgod

Jul 3, 2008
    I saw an 8 year old reply yesterday, made me laugh a bit! It's funny, but how do these things turn up? Doesn't the search function sort the threads by age?
  12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The person replying has simply overlooked the date. BTW, this is kind of cool. It allows us to see what attitudes were in the past, compared to now.

I might add my own response to one of the comments in the original 2001 thread concerning tube tone.

When I used my 200 watt Marshall Major tube head with my 1x18 folded horn Acoustic 301, I had no worries about tone or being heard. I mostly played my '55 P-bass or my '69 P-bass through it. The repertoire varied between country, big band Jazz, proto-fusion/funk, hard rock, horn band r&b, blues, and oldies. I had to sell the Marshall head and Acoustic 301 cab to some kid in Kalamazoo, MI because I was in school and broke. He got it all for $475 in 1976--that's about $1800 in 2008 $US. The tone was perfect!
  13. BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Solid state watts vs. tube watts. Which is louder?
  14. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA

Here is a versatone ad:

Of course being a big Jack Casady fan, a simple
    Google search of his name and Versatone should
    keep you busy

Phil Anderson
  15. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Tube snobs can say whatever they like, I played through the 360 with the 300watt class A SS amp in the bottom of the folded horn cab for MANY years. Owning and playing that amp was one of the reasons I again looked at SS after the "Gotta have Ampeg Tube" craze and weight was over.
  16. bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    Trying to start a fight buddy!!!!!????
  17. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Not to nitpick but the 360 was 200 watts.
    Huge, loud, ridiculous, but 200 watts just the same.
  18. bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004