Acoustic 360?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Yes, the amp that Jaco used. I've heard how rare they are and how good they sound, but I've never heard where I can get one. Anybody know a shop that keeps rarities like this? I've never even seen one. Where would be the best place to buy one?
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    They might be rare now but they were everywhere back in the late 60s/early 70s. They were only made for about 2-3 years, the followup model the 370 was made for much longer (close to 10 years) which is why there are so many more of them around.

As one wag once wrote "how many other refrigerator sized objects that cost over $1000 can you think of that have completely disappeared off the face of the earth?"

The 360 is really nothing all that special. What was revolutionary at the time was the use of relatively high wattage (200 watts when most bass amps were 50 or less) coupled with the high efficiency of a folded horn cabinet using an 18" driver. They are great amps for large venues but total overkill for small rooms.
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I used a non-powered version (301 cab) back in the '70s. It was loud, lacked highs, and the cabs "focused sound" didn't develop until about 25- to 50-feet out in front of the stage. In other words, your bass's volume seemed louder further out front than it sounded on stage. This was due to the folded horn design. There are a few interesting posts on this cab, try a search of the forum. and here's a site...

unofficial acoustic website
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The acoustic 360 is as close as your nearest Line 6 or Boss dealer :D Both the Bass POD and Bass Cube 30 have 360 models in them.

Actually, a few years back, I was trying to track down some white slide pot knobs for my knobless Acoustic 370 head. I spoke with some guy in Florida who owns a music shop and collects Acoustic 360s... Seems to me he said that he had over 20 of them. IIRC he still had one in the box that had never been opened...

I had a 360 about three years ago that I refurbished (when I got it the power amp was dead and the whole rig had been covered in leopard skin print vinyl). I got it working well, recovered it, made new grilles including the aluminum trim, grew tired of it and sold it's tone really wasn't for me.

They turn up on eBay and probably other,, here, etc.
  5. ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I was thinking about a 360 a few years ago and I found a decent number of them via the usual internet suspects of EBay, HC and the like for fairly little money. There's also a person out there who makes a really good 360 preamp in pedal or rack form with or without fuzz. I think he uses the name "Viva Analog." A 360 pedal pre w/fuzz with a big ol' power amp would be amazing.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    BTW while it is known today as "Jaco's amp" it was popular with lots of players at that time. Led Zeppelin, Traffic, Mott the Hoople, Mothers of Invention, Sly and the Family Stone (w/ Larry Graham) and many, many other bands used them.
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I recently bought Wattstax on DVD, I haven't seen it in maybe 30 years.....some great stuff on there........oh yeah the point :) .......the whole back-line was Acoustic amps, like Brian said, when I was a kid most bassist went through a Acoustic at one time or another. I still have my 470 :bassist:
  8. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Oh yeah, 270's and 370's, lot's of them!
  9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The best place to look is on eBay. I recently purchased a 370 head and a 470 head for very reasonable prices. They're great little amps, and you can find them used in very good condition. The 370 is probably one of the most popular models, Stanley Clarke used a pair of them during the late 70's to get his stunning sounds with the Alembic bass. When I was a kid learning to play bass, I would have given my left nut for one of those. They were just as loud as an SVT, and a lot lighter, and they had a better and more flexible EQ. Plus those monster Cerwin Vega speakers in the 301 cabs were very efficient and very loud, especially at 50 feet out. Not much high end, but very flexible shaping of the low end sound. If you wanted more high end, you had to get the horn attachment, which was a separate cab that sat on top of the 301.
  10. im not sure what model the head and cab are, but my friend a while ago found out his dead had an acoustic head and cab just sitting hidden in the garage. If its any good I might see if I can buy it off him cheap. No such thing as too much equipment :D
  11. Bubbabass

May 5, 2004
    Downloaded the drawing for a 301 cab from acoustic and figured why not risk two sheets of 3/4" plywood for fun? Am contemplating putting a 15" driver in it rather than 18", in case I want to put the driver in something else later. Will it make much difference to the cab? Should I scale it down a bit? Any other oversights? Thanks.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

IME, it's like antique shopping ---- you check out the grungiest, little/big, off-the-beaten path, shops and you never know where you'll find one.

Once I asked to see the used amp room at the moldiest-smelling, most disorganized, music store in these parts and there was an Acoustic 371 for $400. Of course, it needed TLC.......even the power cord had been sliced by a cymbal or something as the copper wiring was exposed at one point.
  13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Since cutoff frequency is dependant on horn length and mouth area, I wouldn't change the dimensions.

Perhaps a PM to resident folded horn expert Bill Fitzmaurice would be in order.

And while it wouldn't look the same, you could build a better folded horn for a 15 by buying one of Bill's reasonably priced plan sets at
  14. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    As far as using the folded horn goes, it's an odd thing to adjust to. I knew amps pretty well until I bought my 360's for a song. It took me a lot longer than it should have to come a full understanding of how to use the 360. For the longest time I thought I got my hopes up on an amp that wasn't that great after all. Once I l got to play/jam/practice/record in different and bigger rooms, I got to know more about this strange beast and finally could get the sound I wanted.
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think I understand. I used a B450 EMC, (Electronic Music Corp of Cleveland, Ohio), that has a 3x15" with 30 feet of folded horn in a reverse-W enclosure of pure birch wood.

This sumbitch is such a badass that the sonic convergence wasn't audible until you got 18 feet away from the cab.

To this day, my right ear has tinnitus from that bad boy.
  16. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Didn't some company linked to Samick reissue the Acoustic 360 a couple of years ago. I remember seeing loads of shiny new ones in the film Josie and the pussy cats :bag: and some adds in a couple of music mags for Acoustic.

Maybe I'm wrong
  17. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Yep, Samick had them at the NAMM show (I saw pictures) but I never saw one at a store...and it was a completely different amp...
  18. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    Just wanted to sneak in here and say that I just purchased an Acoustic 360/361PP and I can't wait to get it. Should be here sometime within the next two weeks. I do have one question, though. Are the two inputs on the Acoustic like a modern amp's inputs where one input is padded?
  19. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    As long as we're mentioning other models, let's not forget the 320/408.
    Here is an article stating that Jaco didn't care for the 370 but did take a 320/408 stack on some tours (you can even see it on the "Shadows & Light" video if you look close enough): Spaces/Articles/StoryJacoPastorius.html

And here's a page with some info and pics of various Acoustic amps:

BTW, I used to have a 320/408, and wish I still had it.