1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic 360

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beanbass123, Aug 29, 2008.

1. beanbass123

beanbass123

Nov 11, 2005
    I've got the old jaco amp: the beast, Acoustic 360 with 361 head or vice versa I always get it confused. It works great. I made it safer by profesionally installing 3 prong grounding wires instead of the 2 prong so you don't get shocked when u put your mouth on the mic.

Does anyone know how much these amps are worth? particularly my amp...

Ive included some pictures for reference.

Attached Files:

2. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    As much as any Jaco fanatic will shell out for it. Just make sure when you sell it, to put Jaco used this brand of amp in the ad and it should go for well over 1500.00 dollars

3. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I almost grabbed the cab like that locally in NE for about 200.
    Tha was about 2 years ago.

Don't bother trying to ship it anywhere, the cab weighs about
    150 lbs.

I got a 320 Acoustic bass head 2 years ago of similar vintage,
    I paid 230 shipped for that. I don't think the 360 would bring
    a lot more. I could be wrong.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    hmm - Hope it doesn't sound like mud like my old acoustic amp sounded!

5. patman01

patman01

Oct 25, 2007
    I had one years ago---my band was ecstatic when I traded it for a v4B and 8x10---the Ampeg sounded so much better on stage---pd $600 for mine, I would hope it is still worth that.

6. Face Dancer...now there's a blast from my past.

7. touchdown!

touchdown!

Jun 2, 2008
    it's worth $50 shipping for me to take it off your hands.

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    One sold for $500 a few years ago out of Atomic Music. It was missing one knob. It took the guy 45 min. to get it into a Nissan Maxima.

9. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Believe it or not, with the front seat folded all the way back, the cab will fit into the passenger side of a '74 Toyota Celica GT.

I still can't believe I never got pulled over driving that beast around like that. :D

10. Boy that amp brings back some memories. Back in the day of Altec A7's, Crown DC300A's

11. I played through one during the early 70's for a rehearsal and hated it. It had no highs due to it's single 18" speaker who's sound had to bend around several corners. They were pretty much the amp of choice for big stages until the mighty SVT came out when everyone traded them in (except Jaco :D) I think that a Jaco fanatic might pay some decent bucks for one, but anyone that didn't know the history behind it would probably think it was a lousy sounding amp.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
  13. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    So according to you........Jaco Pastorius, John Paul Jones, Carl Radle, Ric Grech, John McVie, etc. -- all of those players had "lousy" bass tone? :rollno:

As for your memory of history, the 360 and SVT co-existed during that era, one didn't supercede the other. No doubt the SVT had/has better tone, but for a solid-state amp, the 360 was no slouch in that department.

And the 'bend around corners' is known as a "folded horn" cabinet design, which was an excellent way of achieving projection from stage to audienece when there was no house support for the bass.

14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The thing to do is to have one of these AND an SVT with the 810.

Side by side behind you, or even better one on each side of the drum riser withthe guitar amps further out past them. There's a memory. :bassist:

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    One with a nice 1x12 up to 4x12 coming out of the highs out and you have stage presence and the rest of the spectrum. They are about to be reintroduced from Acoustic of America not the company making them for GC.
    Remember besides his fingers Jaco had extensive processing with that MXR Flanger/Doubler and Digital Delay which he used continuously.

16. A few years ago I was in Lauderdale sitting in Alligator Alley (small club, should be called Alligator HandBag) watching Jaco's son playing drums with his band. There was a 360 sitting on the stage. I turned to my girl friend and said "If they turn that thing on.... RUN!"
    Like SVT's, 360's aren't made for small rooms. They were made for big stages and 1960/70's touring PA's. Though I'm not sure why Acoustic stopped making the 360 before they went out of business. They just started making different versions of the same thing. (Remember graphic EQ's on amps? Good place to store all the dirt). I had a 401 or a 441, or a 431, (I can't remember) blow up on me on a concert stage. (It wasn't mine, but she sure sounded sweet as she smoked). Since the power amp for the 360 is in the cabinet and the head is just a preamp, they're quite useless separated. I'm kind of surprised that hard core speed metal bassist don't hunt this baby down.
    You could tell the cats on Jaco.com you're looking to sell it. It might go overseas, might go back to the basement.
    I'm writing a Jaco screenplay and will need one as a prop when it's filmed. You can always donate it to that. I can get you a tax write off.

There's the story of Jaco dragging his onto the stage of the Lone Star in NY promising to do a quite solo set. He plugs in and just before he plays asks the owner if he has a contractor in the building. The owner said; "No, why? Jaco said "Cause I'm going to knock out the back wall." And proceeded to turn it to 11 and blast it. The owner turned the switch to the power off and threw him out. Jaco got pissed off, dragged the amp onto the NY city street, walked away and left it there. ........ Maybe it's the same one?

17. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I bought a new one in the early 70s. Unfortunately it was too much amp for venues I play now days so I sold it and went to tubes a few years back. I used to use a 10 band graphic EQ in front of it which helped a bit with the high end.

I saw Larry Graham use 4 of them at the Snack Concert in SF.
    It was the ONLY outdoor arena gig I've been to where you could hear every note from the bass and I was in the nosebleed seats at the 50 yard line.

Last gig I played with it at bar, I let another bassist sit in and I went to the restroom. Bass just about knocked me down in there. The 360 literally turned the whole building into a bass amplifier. I went outside and across the street and all you could hear was bass. On stage the balance sounded fine but 20 feet out OMG.

Back to your question. From observations on evilbay I've seen them go for $1000 up. Beware of shipping charges, the beast will have to be shipped by trucking company and 8 years ago the lowest estimate I got to ship it across the country was $350.

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It has to, 'tis its nature. OTOH that's easily cured with the addition of a separate midrange box, loaded with a pair of sixes or eights, with an 800 to 1.2kHz crossover.

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It took awhile for the sound waves to develop and focus because of the long wavelengths. They were always louder at the back of the bar than at the front of the stage. In fact, they were even louder outside. They caused much confusion for any drivers in any adjoining neighborhoods, thinking they had their radios on and turned up full blast, even when they were parked a few miles away with the key turned off.

20. That's right; weren't they a folded 18" Vega with two front loaded 6" speakers? .... That's why Jaco liked his amp up high so the folded 18" sound went past his head and he'd listen to the front loaded speakers. Not that he couldn't hear the 18".
    I talked to Ingrid and Jaco always played really loud so I'm sure he had Tinnitus really bad. I've got the distant ringing but I don't have the note, (solid pitch 24/7). Once you get that you're pretty well thru. I hear when it gets as bad as that it's enough to drive you nuts.
    And if you have that, the best advice is to take up meditation.