Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic 360

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Nov 7, 2000.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

Can anyone verify or deny if Samick is distributing the old Acoustic 360 amps in a combo format with the 18" woofer(361?)?

also, for the Acoustic vets here, can the 18" catch up with slap/pop and tap techniques or you have to couple some 2x10s for this?

2. Al Steen

Al Steen

Feb 1, 2000
    Well, Jaco used two of 'em without anything else so I guess they work! :D .. Al

3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

well ya Al, but that was Jaco ;-)

4. Funny, I thought Jaco didn't slap or tap...

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I had an Acoustic 360 (18") because I used to play a lot of Alice Cooper covers. But I wouldn't consider it for slap or tap. It couldn't say "PING" or "WHAPPPP." (It wasn't the Fender bass). The Gallien-Krueger I got to replace it did. The Acoustic would rumble and punch all night like Mike Tyson, though. It never sounded "floppy." But, those were produced before, and sound sterile compared to, today's hybrid, (tube/solid state), heads. The technology is old and the prices for vintage 360's are often inordinately high. GuitarBase Mall has a rather beat one for $1100.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-14-2000 at 07:53 AM]

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The only thing I know about the Acoustic 360 is that I've got one inside my POD.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    "combo" format???

The new 360 is not a reissue of the original although they claim that. It has tubes in the preamp for one thing and who knows what else they changed. Photos indicate it doesn't even look exactly like the original.

No, there is about zero high end from those cabinets. The original actually had a passive crossover and output jacks so you could add a second cab for high end (though almost noone did). Figure it's gonna top out at about 2K or so, you get plenty of fundamental and it's loud but it's extremely dark sounding.

You are not going to want one if slap and tap is your bag. There is a reason these things wnet out of vogue and 10" speakers with tweeters came in, ya know.