1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic 370 Clone Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaroh24, Oct 1, 2017.

1. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    I have searched and searched and have not found anyone who has cloned an Acoustic 370 amplifier. I would love to have the exact amp circuit built in a "micro-amp" configuration with a DI added on so I can have 370 goodness coming from my cab and through a DI (in case I want to run without a cab)

Has anyone come across an Acoustic 370 clone? If not, can anyone recommend someone who would build one?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I do not know if he's making any more of these as he tends to do very limited runs then stops, but yes, someone has done it, though you'd need to supply your own power amp...

Acoustic 370 Preamp

DavesnothereCA and Raulplaysbass like this.
  3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    TB's own johnk_10 (John Kallas) more or less did this in a preamp pedal. In fact, I think he took the same approach for a 360 clone and a 370 clone
    I don't think he comes around here any more, but you can find him on the web easily enough.

Laklandfan likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    John's on here all the time, but he mostly hangs in Effects these days.

5. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    I have known about his work on 370 pedals. I actually was one of the few who owned a 370 power amp pedal, but was forced to sell it due to financial issues. Now that money is more stable for me, I'm interested in the full-blown cloned amp, not just a pedal with a DI. Have either of you had experience with custom amp builders?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Not me, though if you're willing to pay enough, you can find someone to do pretty much anything. Now will it sound like a 370 if you go micro? Don't know about that. I'd say probably not.

7. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    I have an Acoustic 370 already. I know if it was made into a micro, it wouldn't have all the nuances as the original, but it would probably get me 90-95% of the way there. This would only be used in live applications where I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference anyways

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ah, cool. Good guy. I thought he got put on perma-ban for some infraction.
    Glad to know he is still around.

jaroh24 likes this.
  9. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    Anyone else know of any custom builders?

10. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I kinda got the impression from the original thread it wasn't something he was doing for anything other than the challenge. I check his site pretty regularly and I never saw the 370 pre offered for sale or available for ordering.

I think he said something to the effect of vowing never to make another except for the one-off he built for a friend.

JimmyM likes this.
  12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If you have a iphone, ipad, or PC, IK Amplitube has Bass 360 and Cabinet

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Probably true. I don't know the exact story, though.

14. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    I keep up with his work too and honestly it seems like most of his stuff he builds for the challenge/fun of it. The level of workmanship he puts into his effects and other projects is incredible though and when he does sell things, they go fast!

15. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
  16. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    I downloaded that recently, but haven't used it yet. Many people say that the 360 is very different from the 370 though. I'll look more into though

17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Me neither. I try not to crowd the people here who run businesses like Josh Broughton, the Southampton people, and JohnK. If they don't invite inquiries or seem too keen on something, I let it go.

Wouldn't mind having a 370 pedal though. I'm still debating whether to pull the trigger on a viva Analog 360+ pedal, or talk to Josh about something else I've been thinking about.

My preamp jones is acting up again. :bawl:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    jaroh24 and JimmyM like this.
  18. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Curious what is it about this amp that is unusual?

I know they are renowned, i own a 134 guitar amp thats a 4x10...i think the amp is the same as a 150....great amp too.

Is it more the preamp design? Did any other company have something similar back in the 70's?

19. jaroh24

jaroh24

Sep 29, 2012
    The 370 is such a popular choice for a lot of reasons. It's only 375 W at 2Ohm and about half that at 4 Ohm, but those are nowhere near realistic values. When I play mine at 4 Ohm, I can hardly turn it past 2 (not 2 oclock, just 2 on the dial) without it being deafening loud. The power amp has the most tube-like break up of any solid state amp I have heard to date. I don't know enough about electronics, but I know that the 370 has a very unique power amp compared to many other SS heads. Lastly, the preamp is very dynamic and versatile, and fine tunes your tone incredibly. It gives you a punchy tone that still remains warm with a nice "vintage" touch. Everytime I play my pbass through the amp, I can cop bass tones from that of Paul Jackon of the Headhunters (my profile photo is the album cover).

20. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I have to dissagree ;)

They are pure 100% solid state. Acoustic Control Corp published some theory of operation in the service manual and they say something like it's all overdriven (Solid State) amplifier.

Up through the times these were made actual fuzz boxes plugged into amps everywhere, were all solid state themselves.
    Overdriven Solid State deserves the tone credit here ;)

SwitchGear and jj4001 like this.