1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

acoustic 370 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Jul 15, 2002.

1. I never trust my on the spot judgrment about gear anymore. I have to give it a run through several configurations and scenarios before I know what I've got and if I like it.

2. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Acoustic 370 through a 2x15 for at least 10 years.
    Loved it (then).
    You need an effeceint cabinet to get clean and loud with them.

Count Bassie likes this.
  3. denisxcore

denisxcore

May 16, 2013
    New York State
    As luck would have it, I recently came into possession of the exact rig that the OP describes (370 head, and two Aguilar 112s), and can confirm that it sounds great, though I have only had it for a short time, and have not gotten the volume past about 9 o’clock. Any higher than his, and it is very loud. Do you all think I am in danger of blowing the speakers in my cabs with this setup? The speakers are rated for 300 Watts, and at 4 ohms, the amp is allegedly only putting out 225 watts, but as some others have mentioned, the measurements used by ACC in the 70s may not line up with what is done today.

svtb15 likes this.
  4. You are correct

5. Power of Acoustic and Sunn is “front loaded “; loud low and exponentially louder up to half way / noon. After that not much gain in volume and induces more distortion

Frankly with folded Horn cabs or Acoustic 408 cab you won’t be comfortable in same room with one at half power/ volume
    I performed with mine usually at a hair above 2 and was too loud but we liked it

Wouldn’t make a sound below 1.5

I’ve run mine thru every combination but modern cabs and Always sounded great

361 is a combo of preamp into powered cabinet One of these beasts will humble any stack

Different tonal palaette from 370/301

And agreed JPJ and Jaco had totally different tones from same amp

Both mostly played jazz bass too which says 361 is versatile

6. denisxcore

denisxcore

May 16, 2013
    New York State
    Thanks for the info! If that’s the case, I’m gonna crank it tomorrow. I hope my upstairs neighbors will forgive me.

7. Whoah!!!

Not intended for apartment use!

A folded Horn will couple with every wall and corner. Will probably go across parking lot into adjant buildings

You will soon be facing eviction !

8. Owned mine since new in 74

Never let me down. Frankly I’ve never had an issue with sold state amps that I didn’t cause. Can’t say same for time amps though

9. A pic just because I want to.....
    EB1949BB-4A40-426B-BD57-09FC942612E3.jpeg

10. denisxcore

denisxcore

May 16, 2013
    New York State
    God damn. When I have more space I’m getting one of those cabs.

WillH98 likes this.
  11. Justshootit

Justshootit

Mar 21, 2021
    Another resurrection of this thread. First on that settings PDF - SWEET, gotta try those, thanks for posting. Next, I have this amp with a Fender dual showman bottom with a pair of 15" JBL bass speakers in it. I don't remember the model of the speakers and the rig is in storage now so I can't get it easily, but I'm getting excited about getting it home and putting it through its paces again. It will likely need some contact cleaner and some TLC. I'm just wondering if the speakers will need to be reconed after all these years (got this stuff in the 70's).

Roxbororob and StereoPlayer like this.
  12. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I even added a 2-15 SRO loaded cab to my ACC 371 setup and thought it lacked sheer volume. Maybe the speakers were in efficient ? Maybe I used to drink too much?

BillyB_from_LZ and StereoPlayer like this.
  13. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    The rated output from Acoustic was 225 watts at 4 Ohms which is considered reasonably low power by today's standard for clean and loud (IMO).

14. Is it possible that the way amplifier power is rated is different with modern amps, and that modern numbers are bloated?
    My 370 could get stupid-loud with an efficient cab.

StereoPlayer likes this.
  15. Yup. ACC Watts are way more louder!:smug:

Count Bassie likes this.
  16. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Mine is crazy loud through the 301 cab as well.

Count Bassie and StereoPlayer like this.
  17. You can hurtchyo'azz with this amp...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  18. Justshootit

Justshootit

Mar 21, 2021
    Well I'm gonna turn mine down as I have an intense dislike of pain

StereoPlayer and Count Bassie like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021