1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic 370 sounds awfully bright...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Audie Vickers, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Greetings, fellow bass enthusiasts. I have an Acoustic 370 that no matter what, I can't get the brightness out of the output. I've replaced a couple of the bigger caps like the supply voltage and the output cap, but can't get the brightness out of it.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of getting an Ampeg SVT-350 but don't want to give up on my old 370 just yet.

Thanks, guys!

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Neither of the parts you replaced have anything even remotely to do with brightness.

Perhaps the amp's voicing isn't to your liking? It's also possible somebody else who didn't know what they were doing screwed up something else and created this problem. It's common in the DYI repair industry!

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I had one awhile ago.
    The EQ adjustment is very wide with the standard BMT and then the graphic EQ adds a ton more adjustment.
    There are so few componenets in those amp and there is lots of space.
    I would think a good tech could fix this fast and without a big parts outlay.

zon6c-f likes this.
  4. sstillwell

sstillwell

Nov 20, 2008
    Do Yourself Injury? Sounds appropriate, at least. :D

5. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    Don't know what you're using for a cab, but remember the original 370 cab was the 371 that had a rear facing 18" driver. I have a similar system Acoustic 140 driving a 420 series Acoustic cab I usually need to kick on the "bright" switch on that rig live as there is some top end roll off. If the amp sounds bright with a different style of cab that may be part of what your hearing.

Bob_Ross, zon6c-f, SirMjac28 and 2 others like this.
  6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

If you have the bright switch on, and are using a modern cabinet, the bright switch is the reason it's bright.

The bright on the 370 is voiced to try and force some high end out of that rear facing 18" speaker. It starts pretty low...200 Hz and rises at a 4db/octave rate to 5kHz. Not your standard bright switch.

Bob_Ross, jaroh24, zon6c-f and 3 others like this.
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    4dB/octave? How'd they do that?

8. I've owned the amp for years and it's only been recently, within the last 6 months or so, that my problem surfaced. It 'voiced' fine up until then.

9. I'm pushing it through an EVM 18B. Too bright hasn't been a problem up until recently. I used to occasionally use a friend's Peavy 15" and horn PA speaker. The added horn really sounded nice.

10. Yeah, bright switch is the first thing I checked. I'm using an E/V TL505 cab with an EVM 18B driver.

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Could be ear fatigue?

Aqualung60 likes this.
  12. I took my Fender Jazz to the local music store today and plugged it in an Ampeg SVT with 8-10s to test several scenarios. Sounded like it should. Sounded almost like my 370 used to.

13. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Cab or tinnitus? Hope it's the cab!

14. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Did you play while switching the Bright switch back and forth? In other words does it make a difference? In the past where did you have the switch set at? I have the same amp running thru a 408 cabinet and brightness is not a problem.

zon6c-f likes this.
  15. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    It's pretty clear:
    It's broke and needs to see a good tech

16. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    DYI? Do Yourself In?:D

aprod, Jeff Scott and agedhorse like this.
  17. ghostinthemach

ghostinthemach Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    I suggest you ask folks in The Acoustic Club . There are very knowledgeable ACC owners that may have experience with your issue.
    @JacklegBass for example is about as knowledgeable as it gets with ACC gear.

Winoman, zon6c-f and Audie Vickers like this.
  18. image. What cabinet are you using it with? And also the graphic eq and the bright switch definitely make mine bright. The settings in the picture are for a bass heavy bright sound that really hits you in the chest. Definitely don’t be afraid to pump the bass and treble up like me. If you want to get brighter than what I have I suggest raising the treble up and lowering the bass slightly should get even brighter and still retain lows, with the 301 I have it sitting on there is never a lack of lows!

Winoman and zon6c-f like this.
  19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    What cabinet are you running with the 370 head?

That head was designed to work with a 1x18 folded horn cabinet.

Also 1970s bass solid state heads were know to have harsh mids. You may have to scoop out the mids.

20. JacklegBass

JacklegBass

Jul 4, 2004
    Regardless of what cabinet you're running it through, the 370 isn't a particularly bright amp. As suggested before, check to see that you hear a distinct difference when you flip the brightness switch on and off. Similarly make sure the tone controls and EQ sliders are functioning and you hear differences when sweeping them up and down. My wild guess would be that a cap has gone bad in the treble or higher EQ band circuit.

Audie Vickers and ghostinthemach like this.