1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic 370 w/ Avatar stack... anybody got either?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbass79cam, Mar 27, 2009.

1. pbass79cam

pbass79cam

Jun 24, 2008
    i just purchased an acoustic 370 amp head on ebay. this has been one of my dream amps for a few years, (im only 18, :p) i had wanted to get one earlier, but never found one cheap enough that i myself could afford. since then though, i have purchased both a markbass littlemark II, and an avatar 4x10 neo and a 2x12 neo, both in orange tolex (and both 8 ohm). i love my setup now, and have no complaints, but i just couldn't help myself when i saw the acoustic running about 200-300 less than they were going for 1 and a half years ago. i just wanted to get some opinions, information, user settings, and anything else i could get outta my good friends at talkbass, :) honestly though, i wasn't entirely sure how the acoustic would sound through my cabs. i mean, most reviews ive seen on the 370 has it actually paired to its partner 301 cab. i have seen that there are a few people on here that have in fact ran a 370 into some avatars. i just want to know how they sound, and what genres, etc, they are good for. thanks guys, have a good day. :D

2. reno88

reno88 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Atlanta
    just picked up my acoustic 370 today. i've had it for 20 years and is hasn't been working for the last 19...years. through avatar cabs. i'm stoked to have this up and running again! sorry for the blur...

2u4u8hg.

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have a 370 and think it's a fine amp but have only run it with standard 1x15 and 2x15
    -4 ohms cabinets
    The LMII will have a lot more power

4. pbass79cam

pbass79cam

Jun 24, 2008
    ive got it now, but it seems like it is overpowering my speakers, but it might be the amp, cause turning it up to half way, all eq set flat gets a good bit of distortion, while my markbass can get louder without any sort of farting or distorting. Idk, ive just kind of left it alone. :/ i hope i can find out the prob and fix it because i would actually like to use my amp. :)

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Volume at 1/2 on an Acoustic 370 is very very very loud. Turn it down to just above 1 and try it there.

6. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    If the Mark sounds louder and is clean, I would think that the Acoustic is clipping even with the volume knob 1/2 way up.

7. pbass79cam

pbass79cam

Jun 24, 2008
    yes, i would have to assume the same thing, with the lmII at least there is an adjustablet input gain to compensate for this. :p

8. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The 370 is designed to work with low impedance loads. It delivers 325 W RMS at 1.6 Ohms(!) according to the manual. Hence at 8 Ohms you run into clipping rather quickly.

Did you try with both cabs hooked up? Then you at least get around 200 W RMS.

9. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm going from memory (and the amp isn't at this house) but I believe the output is 175 watts RMS at 4 ohms

10. pbass79cam

pbass79cam

Jun 24, 2008
    Yes, im already running it through both 8 ohm cabs.

11. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It was meant to run with 3.2 ohm cabs, so the measured powers are at 1.6 and 3.2 ohms :eyebrow:

The 370 produced 205W at 3.2 with 5% distortion and 230W at 10% distortion. All voltages RMS.

12. pbass79cam

pbass79cam

Jun 24, 2008
    well poopiee, ill have to just pair a lot of speakers together and try it out. :p

13. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Maybe an Acoustic 408 Like the 2 ohm 4 X 15 at the bottom of this heap:
    [​IMG]
    That would rock your world!:bassist:

14. Chuck King

Chuck King Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Chicago
    Despite its relatively shrimpy size, that MarkBass has a LOT more power than the 370, so it's hardly surprising that it would go louder before distorting.

I agree with the others who have pointed out that to get the most out of that amp you should run it into a lower-impedance cabinet(s).

Although, having said that, I've never felt any need to turn mine up anywhere near half way to be "loud enough". It is possible that there's something wrong with yours---sometimes power transistors go bad on those old Acoustics.

15. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    For the record, I never thought my 370 or 450 was really that clear sounding.
    Looks way cool though and built like tanks.
    Used them for many gigs and rehearsals and never a problem.

16. pbass79cam

pbass79cam

Jun 24, 2008
    haha, ok, thanks guys, ill try it out with the band sometime and see how it goes. :)

17. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    The 370 produced 205W at 3.2 with 5% distortion and 230W at 10% distortion. All voltages RMS.

huh? true rms Power ratings are taken at zero distortion, just below the point of clipping. at 0% it's probably around 120 watts tops. as an aside i'm old enough to remember those jive eia, pmp etc "rating" systems, always set at some level of distortion. true rms is the only power spec that really counts. if a manufacturer list an "rms" rating at Any level of distortion they are lying thru their teeth.

18. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, there's no such thing as "zero distortion", and the behavior at the onset of clipping is highly design dependent (as opposed to digital systems where there's well-defined limit), ranging from "soft/smooth" to "ill-behaved". What may look like a clean sine wave on an oscillocope may already be slightly compressed (but not yet outright clipped) and exhibit several % THD... Hence a distortion figure is really needed for the spec to be well-defined.

A stringent wording could be as follows:

"P Watts minimum continous sine wave average power output (per channel with all channels driven) at R Ohms over a power bandwidth of f1 to f2 Hz at a maximum total harmonic distortion of D %."

The choice of distortion level to measure power at depends on the context, and can in practice range from say 0,01% (Hi-Fi stuff) to 10% (crappy car stereos)...

19. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    :rollno: Acoustic was one of the few companies that listed the RMS *and* the distortion level they measured it at. How many other companies list the distortion level?

And if you think other manufacturers are measuring at 0% distortion :scowl:

20. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    i'm just trying to point out that one should take all power ratings for instrument amplifiers with a whole shakerful of salt. it would be a better situation for all if manufacturers would issue power ratings at the point of clip, or a fraction of one percent; it is simply more honest.

How many other companies list the distortion level?

almost all of them actually do, but it's very rarely a full bandwidth measurement. they usually measure at 1k, which is easy. much better would be "X watts, measured at 1% distortion, from 20-20,000 hz, verifiable. let's see an mi amp builder do That, yeah right

And if you think other manufacturers are measuring at 0% distortion

of course i don't. but most high end home audio manufacturers list their power ratings typically at two or three Hundredths of one percent distortion for a solid state amp, which is a whole lot closer to the truth. you betcha. so, by that standard at the typically accepted one or (shudder) 5% percent for mi stuff we are being very generous, to say the least. if high end audio guys measured at 5% or 10% it would get them laughed right out of business, single ended tube mavens notwithstanding. the problem arose in our world with all this 5%, 10% and even more junk, which to me has always been utterly ridiculous. it's all based in competition; there's so much misinformation out there regarding power ratings, and they all fudge 'em to one degree or another in order to stay competitive. so all i'm saying is buyer beware....