Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic 370

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacoproud, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Anyone played through one of these?? any thoughts??

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Back in it's day, that was a killer head. It was made for live use and IMO projected much better than the SVT rigs of that time. It wasn't as smooth as an SVT and did have kind of an edge to it's sound, even with the 18. At the time, it was LOUD with the folded 18 cab.

Here in the states they pop up frequently at pretty reasonable prices. Two drawbacks... they're old... sturdy but old nonetheless. They're also pretty bulky, though nowhere near SVT bulky.

The 360 was the other popular model, along with the 470 which was a guitar/basss amp.

I thought I saw a new line from a new version of Acoustic, if that's what you're talking about I have no experience.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Like Brad said, it's old school but a lot are still around and can still dish it out. About $150 is a typical price. Most have lots of damaged controls (trying to recall the last one I saw that still had all the EQ sliders). Power is about 200 watts into 4 ohms, 300 into 2 ohms.

The speaker cabinets are huge and heavy. You see fewer of them than you do the heads. They go for about $200 when you see them, most are severely beaten on (hard to keep big cabinets from getting banged around).

The "new" Acoustic gear is being made in the Orient by Samick. They seem to have stalled after making some product announcements (and featuring the gear in the Josie and the Pussycats movie) because I have yet to see any in a store, catalog or on a stage.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Brian, a few years back I found a 470 head with the 6 driver cab (can't remember if it was 6-10 or 6-12) in mint condition in a pawnshop... for $350. It was a shallow cab that may have been designed for guitar, it sounded fine with a fretless and just okay with a fretted bass. Sold it for what I paid for it. That cab was just way too big.