acoustic 406 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by giantjerk, Oct 8, 2004.

1. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Anyone know what the approximate value of an Acoustic 406 cabinet in very good shape with no problems is?

Both the cabinet and I are located here in the US.
  2. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    Is that the old 4X15" cab?! What an earthquake machine that was; I have never heard a five-string through one so I don't know how it handles a low B, but it was incredible with a four.
    I don't know what its value is now, but that was an awesome cab in its day---also huge.
  3. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    The 406 is a 2X15 cabinet. I have been looking for a single 15 or single 18 extension cabinet.

The 4x15 cabinet you describe is the 408 which had built in casters and kickback handle.

I am also looking for the ohm rating on the 406.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    A 406...probably 4 ohms (most Acoustic cabinets were 4 ohms, except the 408 which was 2 ohms).

Value...I dunno...if it's really nice $200ish I suppose...or less. But I'm a tightwad...

Recently a guy I know was trying to sell an Acoustic 402 cabinet (the smaller 2x15) with a road case and reconed JBLs (E-140s IIRC) for somewhere around $350. He didn't get any buyers.
  5. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    Most Acoustic gear is all over the board as far as pricing. I've seen 360's for $25 and 360's for $1000. So the best thing to do is decide what one of these cabs is worth to you.

I just got a empty 406 cab in decent shape for $70. Someone on ebay sold four empty 406 cabs in one auction for around $100. Note that there are 2 406's out there. One is wider than the other. Anyhow, I tossed in some D140F's, and a Sunn Model T tube head. It sounds really good in the right rooms--I was initally disappointed with it's sound, until I moved it to the right spot in the room I was practicing in--made all the differece.

The 406 cabs from the factory either came loaded with Eminence or CTS speakers at 4 ohms.

Anyhow, figure out how much a 406 is worth to you and go from there. There is no set value on these cabs other than what you are willing to pay. Even if I test drove one of those cabinets and liked it, I wouldn't pay over $160 for one that's loaded with stock speakers. JBL speakers might be another story.
  6. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Thanks your response was exactly what I was looking for.