1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic 450? Anyone use this? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by myke.nytemare, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Used the search and didnt come up with much. Anyone have this amp and like it? is it versatile? Is it loud?

2. Loud? yes - Very
    Versatile - not in my opinion if comparing it to today's bass amps, but considering when it was built, and the styles of bass playing way back then, it was one of the better amps of its time.
    Just my 2 cents. :D

3. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    What are you playing? Style I mean. I have a 370 and while not versatile in todays since, it is powerful as you could want and I think the 450 had more in the way of tone shaping. Honestly, how many diiferent sounds do you need? Do you change sound styles four or five times while at a gig? And pay a price within reason for it if you decide to go that way. Alot of vintage price gauge out there. If it is reasonable then it is well worth it. These things are brutal loud and in my experience, tough to damn near indestructible. All my vintage amps holds a special place and the Acoustic is one of my favorites. They make great power sections too if you want to throw a pre amp in front of them when you want a change from it's natural sound.

4. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The 450 is just as loud or louder as a comparable current day amp, say and Ashdown MAG 300. The EQ centers on it are higher than on a 370, so you can get a more "modern" sound from it. The 450 was designed as a dual purpose amp, for guitar or bass, so the voicing of the EQ can be changed by flipping a switch. If you can find the original footswitch, you can have footswitchable boost (like a GK) and distortion. I believe a single button footswitch will activate the variable boost, but I could be mistaken, I sold my 450 a year ago.

If it is in good shape, and you can get it for a good price, $200 or less, it is an excellent choicefor an amp. You can run it at 2 ohms if you'd like. Anymore than $200, then you would be better off buying something newer with a warranty. But if you like the sound, get it!

5. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
  6. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    +1 on bypassing the pre on the 450 and using the power section. Very transparent and faithful reproduction of what you put it. I was amazed by how good running a Sans Amp into the power amp in on the 450 sounded.

I love old Acoustic amps also. I have owned a 150, 220, 450, 470 and a 370. I only have the 370 currently, but do miss the others. You can do a lot worse than an old, functioning Acoustic. The good thing about them is that they are relatively easy to service and replacement parts, with some exceptions, aren't too hard to find. Plus, at the time that they were made, they were the top of the line, think Eden, EA, etc today, and were made with top notch components that have held up well over time.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I used Acoustic back in the day. They were loud, which was important then. I never liked the sound though. But they were loud.

Recently I played in a rehearsal studio and used an Acoustic rig they had there. It sounded just like I remembered-loud. Not much in the way of tone though and a rather brittle sound compared to today's well designed solid state amps.

If you can find one really cheap go for it.

8. Ok...so say it would cost me $250 but its in pretty good condition (all knobs and sliders) and has the footswitch...is it still worth that? Keep in mind that I am going to have it looked at by an amp tech and I am going to be painting/retolexing it to go with my cab!

9. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    If it has the footswitch, most definitely. Those are rare and hard to find.

Spupilup likes this.
  10. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Are you slyly checking out the Acoustic 450 that's currently up for auction on eBay?

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I had one a few years ago, really liked it. It had a bit of grit even when playing clean. I thought the Distortion circuit sounded good as well...especially with my P Bass.

I thought the lead/bass switch provided some interesting tonal variations.

It looks quite lovely sitting on top of an Acoustic 406 (2x15) cabinet.

12. mikesoss

mikesoss

Feb 18, 2011
    san francisco
    i just ordered a 450 head on ebay and it's in transit to me right now. i'm not sure what cab to use with it though. i see a used 407 2x15" cab at guitar center nearby for $500. anyone got any suggestions?

13. I used to run an Acoustic 456 ( I think that was the model number) a long time ago. It was a very loud head. I acutally had a problem with it blowing speakers on a regular basis. I took it to a tech who said he couldnt find anythign wrong with it, and he suggest I turn down. In hindsight I shouldnt have been smile curving the graphic eq! Probably could ahve tried running 8x10 instead of 2x15 as well. The distortion on those is great, kind of like the Sunn Beta bass distortion in that its nice and grindy but warm at the same time.

14. Nofrets2

Nofrets2 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
  15. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I had a 370 and a 450.
    Decent sounding heads but not particularly open sounding.
    These are not powerful heads by todays standards if you are looking for low distortion figures and running at 4 or 8 Ohms.