Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic 450 info needed...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrimsonGhost, Aug 15, 2001.

1. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    Hi everyone, i just bid on and won a acoustic 450 amp head on ebay for $150

I used to own a acoustic 220 head and the 450 seems to be its big brother,in
    fact they look identical execpt for the model number.
    From what i remember about the 220 is that it was loud as hell with just a
    2x12 cab, in fact it used to rattle my walls!.

Does anyone know How much power the 450 pushes (i once saw 330watts) and
    what cab can i use to utilize full power from it ohm-wise?
    Im thinking about finding a 2x15" or a peavey 412tx.

Also the head i bought dosent come with its footswitch, does anyone happen
    to know where i can find some spec info, prints etc to possibly build my own footswtich or use somthing from another brand? this is going to be a tuff find.

Thanks alot for all the help!
    Jason

2. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Congrats on the Acoustic purchase!!! I have a 360 rig and 2 370 rigs I've collected over the years!!!
    I think the amp you won is 275 watts RMS. Also if the foot switch is a DIN plug you can make one up for about 15.00 from Radio Shack parts. I had to make one for my 360's fuzz and tuner. Good luck!

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Wish I had some info to share, other than the fact that I just picked up a 220 head recently.
    Have to agree with the loudness comment!
    Don't know much at all about it, not even what they're rated at.
    I'll be doing some research tonight, but I'm guessing there's not much on the web about them...

Nice classic tones, yah?
    m

4. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I owned a 450 for about 20 yrs, sold it 5 yrs ago. I had been told it pushed about 170-210 watts into 4 ohms. Wasn't anywhere near as powerful as the 360, which I also had, and used the pair in a biamp arrangement. One of the cool things about the 450 is the preamp/power amp jack, which is a stereo jack that, if plugged into, interrupts the connection and lets you insert a device. I used it to hook up a Biamp electronic crossover and returned the highs to the 450 and lows to the 360.

Anywho, the footswitch also takes a standard stereo 1/4" phone plug, and the stock model had two switches that shorted the tip to ground and the ring to ground. One kicks the distortion effect in and out, and the other lets you toggle between the full volume and secondary volume. A standard two switch floor pedal switch should do.

Good luck with your purchase. Mine was a solid citizen and did well by me for a lot of years, driving a variety of cabs over time, and serving as a vocal monitor amp as well. Switched to the full range response setting, it puts out some very clean power.

5. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    Hey Bob, thanks for the info! I wonder what the difference is in wattage between the 220 and the 450 since they identical in features and looks.

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hi,

My '73 Acoustic catalog rates the 450 head at 170 watts rms. I'd have to assume that this rating was measured at 10% THD (total harmonic distortion) with a 2 ohm load.

I say this because the ratings claimed for the 370 head in the same catalog are 365 watts rms. My 370 owner's manual is a little more descriptive and states the 365 watt rms rating was measured at 10 % THD with a (essentially) 2 ohm load.

The list price for the 450 in the March '74 price list was $500...that's nearly 2 grand in 2001 dollars. Gear is quite a deal today.

Enjoy!!!

Bill

8. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hey gibsongeek,

do you have the 301 cabinet with the 370 head? that's what i have and it's a great setup. i was wondering, how do you set your eq? in the parametric eq section i like to drop the mids just one notch. in the graphic eq section i cut out most of 400hz, 300 hz is cut not quite as much, and the 50hz is cut just a bit.

steve

9. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    I dont understand this, the 220 and the 450 are identical execpt for 10 watts difference? somthing isnt right here. I cant seem to find anything on paper with specs..

10. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Stevekim,
    I actually have 2 370's and 2 301's! Don't ask me why! I guess I'm a sucker for an amp that costs 169.00 and KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!! I honestly don't remember the last time I used a 370, so I don't remember the EQ deal. I DO often use my 360 rig though and keep the EQ at twelve O'clock across the board. I do any tweaking on my Lull's. That amp gets more compliments than any amp I've EVER used! If you can find one that's reasonably priced I highly reccomend buying it! They are getting 1200.00-1500.00 in Boston, where I am!
    Good luck!

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hi,

The '78 Acoustic catalog states that the ratings of the 220 head are 125 watts RMS @ 5% THD into 4 ohms, 160 watts RMS @ 5% THD into 2 ohms.

The 220 amp has a power boost switch, footswitch capability on the graphic EQ and preamp out/power amp in jacks for patching in effects.

The 450 has a distortion circuit and a lead/bass switch. No footswitch capabilities that I know of...but it's been years since I've seen one. The 470 head has two channels and all sorts of footswitching capabilities.

Rock on!!!

Bill

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thanks for the specs, Bill and Bob!

13. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

Nov 14, 2000
    The Acoustic 220 and the 450 both have 2 button footswitches.

1 button operates the Distortion circuit.
    and the other operates the "aux" volume or eq.

14. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    Hey guys,

I just bought one of these, and I think there is something wrong with it. With the distortion control all the way down, can you get just a clean sound with the volume control? The one I have will only put out volume with the distortion at 3 o'clock or more, and then kinda use the volume control as a master. I cannot get a clean sound out of the amp.

I'm going to an amp tech tomorrow to have him look at it, but just wanted to check in to make sure that is not normal operation.

Also, on a side note, the technician is $80 an hour....how much do technicians in your area charge? Seems kinda on the high side, but I've never used someones services as such.

Thanks for any replies, guys/gals.

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It's been a very, very long time since I owned a 450 (one of those amps I should have hung on to). If I recall correctly, the Distortion control had an off switch at "0". Does yours?

I have no idea what techs charge around here, but I'm kind of afraid to find out.

16. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Go to unofficial acoustic control corp forum Forums and check out the catergories as well as clicking the Acoustic banner across the top for specific gear info. I have a 450 that I generally use with a 106 cab and I also have a 370 head and 2- 301 cabs. The 450 is a great one. :cool:

17. TravTrav

TravTrav

Jun 6, 2010
    WA
    Oh, man. You're right it does have a switch! It's too late to plug in right now, but I'll have to play tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

18. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    The 450 is a great amp though it is very different from the 220. (I personally prefer the 220 to the 450. Haven't had the chance to play a 360 but the 320 and 370 are my favorite Acoustics so far.) Like Oren said, you'll be able to find just about any info out there on Acoustic gear on this site.

GuitarHeadOrBassHead450 < Acoustic < Wiki

19. Yeah, turn the distortion all the way to the left until it clicks off. That's what my 450 does

20. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I had a 450 for probably 20 years and a 370 for about 10; both were bought used.
    For me, these were great amps that did a million jobs with NO problems.
    I felt the 450 was underpowered for big jobs w/ 8 ohm cabs if you wanted clarity.

I once bought a used SVT cabinet for the 450 and sold the cabinet as it would not get loud and clear like my friend's SVT rig. Turned out to be the head didn't have enough guts. You do stupid things like that when you are 19!