Acoustic 470: Stands up to modern performance standards?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stewbone, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Who out there could compare the 470 to, for instnce, a Trace Elliot GP7 powered head? Thanks for any educated input!

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Well, the Model 470 was made in the early/mid '70s it has two channels, a graphic EQ, reverb and tremolo. It's rated output is 170 watts rms (at 10% THD) into 2 ohms. Granted these are 1970s watts which to my ears are a lot more powerful than 21st Century watts (my Acoustic 450 head is a monster...but tonally it doesn't compare to my more modern gear, so it sits in a corner as a spare).

I don't know the GP7, but it has to be much newer than the Acoustic...which could mean that it would be more reliable (and repairable).
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I still have my 470 that I got 26 years ago....I don't think tonally it's up there with most of todays gear, but it does have a pretty cool tone all it's own! And as BillyB mentioned's loud! Much louder than my SWRSM400 that puts out 400 watts.
  4. So we're maybe talking about some of the volume today being sacrificed for cleaner, more specific tone. Hmmm...? It's a question of potential being judiciously distributed. The power gets used up in part by the process of creating cleaner signal, right?
    Dunno, I kind of like my signal a bit brutish. Gotta admit I like Trace Elliot, though! Thanks again for the input.
  5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    If you have a backup and the 470 head is cheap...give it a whirl.

Just remember it's a 30 year old amp and could have been through a lot over those three decades.

It does have a lead bass switch just like the Model 450 plus gobs of tone control with the three band eq, 5 band graphic eq, lead/bass switch and bright switch.

Have fun!!! Besides it has reverb and tremolo (or is that tre-eh-mo-oh-lo-oh)