Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gus Autine, Sep 3, 2000.

1. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    For some time I've been separately considering: (a) getting a 5 string, and (b) getting an acoustic bass guitar. Until recently, these thoughts never occurred at the same, but now I'm wondering whether it makes sense to get an acoustic 5. I am an infrequent weekend warrior. I generally play rock, folk, and country (and very limited jazz - - due to limitations of the player), in small to medium size venues. I am VERY comfortable with my comfy old Jazz bass.

There seem to be a very limited number of acoustic instruments on hand in most music stores, and if this condition persists, I might consider a mail order bride. (The Carvin acosustic 5?) Any comments or suggestions?

2. Bobb Nagel

Bobb Nagel

Aug 30, 2000
    Chicago area
    I have an Ovation 5 (Celebrity, with all the holes)that I use at home for practice. I find myself in the occasional acoustic situation and have brought it along, but ultimately was more comfortable with the clarity that my Jazz afforded me. My opinion would be to stick with your comfy Jazz unless you've got a few bucks burning a whole in your pocket and want to expand your arsenal. By the way, the Ovation is not a bad sounding 5-string with a fairly tight B and a comfortable neck. Can't help you on the Carvin question.

Bobb

3. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Look into Washburns. They make great acoustic basses. Good range of prices too. You can get a 5 w/ quilted maple top,
    spruce sides and back, active EQ, and a nicely inlaid headstock and frettboard for WELL under a grand. more like
    6-$700. Way prettier than the carvins, and they project better and have a warmer tone when not amplified.

4. Bass Cadet

Bass Cadet

Jul 7, 2000
    I have a Washburn AB-25. It's OK but nothing spectacular. The low B doesn't come through very well (especially compared to my Zon) and the string spacing seems a little tight. Also, because it's a hollow body, it's somewhat bulky and a little awkward to play. My right arm digs in a bit on the side of the bass and it's harder to see the fretboard. I think you really need to amplify ABG, especially 5 strings.

I do like the Fishman preamp. And it is nice to have it to play with acoustic guitarists. I also have a four string (AB-20) which I'm close to converting to fretless.

I haven't tried the Carvin. I did try a four string Ovation and thought it was decent but will stick with my Washburns. I paid <$900 for both with cases.

HTH,
    greg