1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic amp for acoustic bass guitar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by uhjb, Sep 24, 2017.

1. uhjb

uhjb

Sep 24, 2017
    Are there any actual (reasonably priced) acoustic bass amp out there for acoustic bass guitar? Or are there any acoustic amp that's good enough for an acoustic bass guitar, nothing more than 30watt? TIA.

2. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Any little bass combo that's well made and sounds good to your ears should work equally fine on ABG as it does on slab.

jthisdell likes this.
  3. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    for something in that size, I like the Ampeg BA110. Works great with my Breedlove ABG.

4. ou812

ou812

Dec 14, 2013
    So you’re “supposed” to use an acoustic guitar amp for an acoustic electric guitar, but any bass amp is ok for acoustic bass? Hmmm? Is there an amp made for acoustic bass? I’m just about to jump into this after playing slabs all my life, so just wondering. Should I use my genz Benz combo or my little Marshall acoustic guitar amp?

5. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Something like THIS?

6. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    My wife has a Boss Acoustic Singer Live combo, which has a channel for mic and seperate channel for guitar. I actually just replaced a dead pre-amp in an old (cheapish) acoustic bass I have yesterday and plugged it into the guitar channel to test electrics and also just to see how the amp sounded with it.

It actually seemed to produce a decent amount of low end and kept the acoustic flavour fairly true. Might be worth tracking one down and plugging in to see if what it produces is what you are after. There's also an Acoustic Singer Pro.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The buffering in the pre makes them work or not even work. Ignore this at your peril.:)
    SWR BBII, Cali Blonde & Strawberry Blonde work. These I know about.

8. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    If you can find one, IMO these are unbeatable for acoustic bass and acoustic guitar.

SWR California Blonde.jpg

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    While many bass amps contain significant voicing characteristics, most quality acoustic amps are more flat and even response. They also tend to have an input impedance of 1M or greater which works better with piezo pickups commonly used on uprights. There are quite a few bass amps with input impedance lower than 1M, especially when you have to use the padded input.

The challenge with many acoustic amps is their limited output volume at lower frequencies.

One amp you might consider is the Genz Benz Shenandoah 150LT. You will have to find one used, but it was quite popular with upright players as it had a good balance between flat response and low end capability.

Another possible solution would be a pedal preamp (the Rosette is an option with a variable high pass filter, phase switch and plenty of eq) along with a powered PA speaker (QSC K-12, JBL PRX 612 or even the 800 series) etc.

10. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    I have used my Ultrasound amp with my acoustic bass guitar to good effect. That is, with other unamplified acoustic instruments.