Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelly Lee, May 31, 2005.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    No, not for acoustic basses but the brand Acoustic. One of my band members had an old amp sitting in a closet so me being nosey and all, I had to check it out.

It turns out (after some web research) that it is an Acoustic 150 series head from 1971! It has a whopping 110 watts rms. From what I found it is the g**tar version since it has reverb and tremolo built in. Also from what I read the guitar and bass versions were the same except for the effects.

My curiosity was peaked so I had to hook it up to my TE 215 and see what it could do. I must say that other than a scratchy pot this amp had some serious tone and power! :bassist: It has a full tone that isn't sterile at all. Its loud enough I could use it for practice and maybe even a gig. I admit I was very impressed with this early version of SS amplification. I can see why Jaco, The Doors, Chuck Berry and others had used Acoustic amps.

I just thought I would share my enlightenment to the understanding of why some really treasure an Acoustic amp.

2. Boy, the 150 line brings back memories. When I was a kid playing in my parents' basement in the early 70's (I was playing keyboards at the time), the bass player had an Acoustic150 and actually rattled most of a set of dishes out of my mom's kitchen cabinets!!!! I'll never forget that! It's amazing in these days of 600-1000 watt amps that those old Acoustics could get so loud given their low wattage.

Thanks for the post! :)

3. Gus Autine

Gus Autine

Aug 25, 2000
    New York, NY
    I bought one used in 1973 and used it for nearly 30 years. It took massive abuse but is still kicking. Just donated it to a friend's son's basement band. It's the coolest thing they've ever seen.

4. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Not only are the heads great but the cabs too.

I run an acoustic 470 (2 channel, 170 watts) into a 406 (2x15") cab. The head is from 1976 I believe. That's my "big gig rig" and I love it.

I then got the acoustic bug and picked up a banged up 301 cab - a single 18" driver facing backwards into a folded horn structure. The thing projects bass like nothing I ever heard. And it's just about too heavy to move on my own (over 150lbs). I don't know when I'm going to have an outdoor gig that will demand this cab, but it's damn cool to have.

I actually also use my 470 head with an Ashdown 410T "Deep" cab and it sounds awwwfully big. Warm even.

I've had a 270 head as well. That head clocks in at over 250 watts and is a monster.

Acoustic = Great stuff.

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, Acoustic has earned my respect.

I actually turned that amp up to 1/2 power today and it was rattling everything in the house! :bassist: :D They must have rated their stuff the way Trace Elliot did their amps because its the loudest 110 watts I have ever heard!

6. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    A couple of years ago I took my Acoustic 220 head (owned it since new in about 1978) into a local store to A/B it against a Hartke and an Eden amp, through the same cab's. We couldn't crank them to big room volume but the Acoustic amazed the sales folk. It had more guts and depth of tone than either of the state-of-the-art amps.,, I'm gassing for an Aguilar though!

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I had the 140b along with a folded horn cab (1-18 kustom tuck-n-roll EV equipped) and an Acoustic front facing reflex single 18 cabinet. That stack was huge and punchy as hell. My rig these days is clean and hi-fi compared to that, but geez, I long for the old days still sometimes.

I always gassed for an Acoustic 220 but never got the $$ together for it.
    Party on Wayne.

8. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I recently picked up a 450 head, which is allegedly 170 watts. Like all other Acoustic amps, it seems A LOT louder than that! The 450 was a guitar or bass head, with a lead bass switch. When switched to lead, the head is in full-range mode and there is a lot of high end. Switch it to bass and the highs are cut and a solid deep bass results. There are bass, mid and treble rotary controls and a 5-band graphic EQ. Careful cutting and boosting of the graphic really open the tone. There is also a distortion control, which adds a tube-like shimmer, very similar to increasing the drive and presence controls on a SABBDI. There is also an accessory volume control which allows you to set the level and switch it in and out with a footswitch. I do not have the correct footswitch, as the distortion can also be turned on and off by footswitch and when I hook up a standard single button it will activate the accessory volume but disables the distortion. There is also an effects loop and a booster out which allows you to hook up to a power amp if you need more watts. A very versatile head that gives a great tone. I have an Avatar 212 and a Joe's Cab w/ a 15" EV.

I had also borrowed a friend's 150 for a while. The loudest 125 watt amp I ever heard. It was relatively transparent, but also provided a significant bass boost. I was rolling the bass off and it still thumped like crazy! A 150 would be an excellent choice if you like getting your tone from a SABBDI or similar preamp!

Acoustic kicks butt!

9. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    my rig consists of an Acoustic 140 through a Avatar B210 cab...it easily cuts through and supports my seven person band.

i really cant believe it puts out only 110 watts...it competes against a 65 watt Crate guitar amp, another 120 watt Crate guitar amp, mic'd drums, and our PA.

i've never had to mic my cab or anything..it was perfect for my outdoor gig at NC State, and for another indoor gig in the Student Center..never have to turn it past 2-4....i actually practice with the band with it set to less than 1! :eek:

10. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    ACOUSTIC!!

That's another brand that I wish to hell would "start up" again!! I played through both a 150 and a 360 setup back in the day and they were OUTSTANDING rigs! The poster was right on when he said he was impressed with the output. I had more or less dropped out for about 20 years and was amazed to find that when I returned, you suddenly needed several hundred watts to drive most rigs...I ended up buying a SVT5Pro and one of the now discontinued PR8X10 cabs. In my humble opinion, while it is a great setup, it still has trouble keeping up with the old Acoustic.....

11. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    i've got a 140 and the thing has never let me down...i run it with a bassman 400 into 2 215cabs and a 410 cab...i love that thing...i used to run it into a cab that was ...stressed to say the least and it provided the most beautiful distortion...it ha the power and not too much head room...perfect. My dad used to run a couple of 370s...he loved them as well

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I really want a 360? I think it's that anyway. One of the old amps that were about 300watts or so... I tried so hard over here to find one, to no avail :(
    I've heard of people over here getting one REALLY cheap as well.. I'd love to have one as a backup to the Trace..

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I missed out on an Acoustic combo for $100. Needed a reconed speaker, but I loathe the day the guy said he wasn't willing to meet me halfway. :(

14. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
  15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Acoustic people!!

How would I go about changing a 150's voltage from 110 to 240? Can it be done?

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    My B rig is an Acoustic 136 combo that I bought used in 1979. It's a real kickin' amp.

The Korean company Samick bought and resurrected the Acoustic brand about a decade ago. I don't think they're doing any instrument amps, but they had been producing some decent subwoofer cabs.