1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Acoustic Amps" Are there bass and non bass models?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Dano59, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Dano59

Dano59 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Charleston Illinois
    OK I am new to DB and reading all I can.
    Last night I used my Trace AH350 and Trace 4X10 cab to just supplement my sound volume wise. Just enough to not really tell I was amplified but louder Ans it sounded great.
    But, as I look around I see people have Acoustic Image and other amps called Acoustic amps but looking at online info most ne er e end mention being "Bass" specific.
    I understand that my trace rig will color the sound with higher volumes but I do have a Genz Benz Acoustic amp that I use to amplify acoustic guitars on stage at my coffee shop but never thought about hooking my BG to it but now with the double and the "acoustic" tittle being thrown around am wondering if my Genz Benz is also designed for DB?
    Straighten me out please.

2. Dano59

Dano59 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Charleston Illinois
    It's a Shenandoah 150 with the extension cab.

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The main thing with those 'acoustic' amps (which is an oxymoron) is the eq section is set fairly flat at the factory. This is good for DB but makes your electric sound kind of anemic. When I use my AI with my EB I need to put a SansAmp in line to add some character to the sound. Most rigs designed for electric (like you TE) have a curve when the dials are set to 'flat'. Truthfully you can get a usable sound out of about anything though. It just takes more work with some amps than others.

4. Dano59

Dano59 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Charleston Illinois
    OK so even though the Genz Benz is not designed for bass guitar it is a good and safe option for DB right?

I understand that at 200 Watts (with extension cab) it wont keep up volume wise as the Trace but then again the DI would take care of that if needed.

5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    See how it sounds and find out from the company if the speakers can handle those low notes on a regular basis.

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    At reasonable volumes, the 150LT will work fine for UB, especially with the extension speaker because doubling up on the speaker shifts the low frequency extension down.

There are several folks here who use the Compak 300 for UB, one guy uses a Shuttle 12" extension speaker under it. I forget who, though.