Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Amps (Not the Brand)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 7, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Do acoustic amps stay cleaner at higher levels than regular amps? I was looking at getting a 100 watt combo today and was so irritated to go from amp to amp to amp, getting all kinds of distortion from the level of 5. On my GK RCB 200 through my old 1x15 EV cab I can easily go up to 8 before distortion becomes a problem.

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I think that the level of distortion is mainly going to be related to the actually amplifier itself, not whether it's made for acoustic or electric. My jazz band has a SWR California Blonde and we can easily turn it up around 7-8 before distortion becomes and issue. Then again, I've played some electric bass amps that were just as good/clean.

3. basspla915

basspla915

Mar 28, 2000
    Bangor, Maine
    I run an Ashdown Acoustic Radiator II for acoustic work. Great amp, plenty of power, hi/lo filters to eliminate feedback without adjusting eq....Never had a problem with distortion at any level.....