1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic amps warranty - anybody here have to use it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Mar 11, 2009.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have an Acoustic B200 and I love the sound, but I'm honestly a bit iffy about the "Made in China" part and the MDF cabinet. I know Acoustic amps come with a 3 year limited warranty, but the legalese of the warranty statement is a bit murky to me. It states:

THREE (3) YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
    Subject to the limitations set forth below, Acoustic® hereby represents and warrants that the components of this product shall be free from defects in workmanship and materials, including implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, subject to normal use and service, for three (3) years to the original owner from the date of purchase.

Retailer and manufacturer shall not be liable for damages based upon inconvenience, loss of use of product, loss of time, interrupted operation or commercial loss or any other incidental or consequential damages including but not limited to lost profits, downtime, goodwill, damage to or replacement of equipment and property, and any costs of recovering, reprogramming, or reproducing any program or data stored in equipment that is used with Acoustic® products. This guarantee gives you specific legal rights. You may have other legal rights which vary from state to state. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to you.

I assume that means if something goes wrong with the amp - it stops working, develops a rattle or buzz or noise, a handle falls off, etc. - it'll be fixed or replaced free of charge. I also assume that the warranty doesn't cover any sort of incidental costs such as loss of wages because you didn't have the amp while it was repaired, etc.

Anybody here have to bring your Acoustic amp or cabinet back to GC with a warranty issue yet? How was it handled? What was the result?

Thanks!

2. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    bump.

3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    A friend of mine has had to have a couple of the 4x10's replaced due to blown speakers. GC has replaced the cabs, but after the second or third failure, I believe she upgradded to an Ampeg 410.

Apparently, they accoustic cabs don't handle the kind of power that they are rated four. The cabs weren't really being pushed that hard either. Being used well within the range of what you would expect and average 4x10 to do. I run the same kind of power and volume through and Ampeg SVT Pro 2x10 in a similar band situation with good results.

Amp is a G/K 700rbII 320 watts at 8 ohms, and the cab is rated for 400 watts.

If you're looking to be reimbursed for down time, I think that's wishfull thinking on your part for ANY music related product.

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Nope - just working through the language of the warranty.

5. Well yes. I bought a B200H in July and around December it developed a loud hum. so loud I couldn't use it. I had a B600H that i was using so took my time getting it back. I took it back in late Feb and they just gave me a new one right off the truck. Cool.

I tried it once or twice at home, worked fine. This last weekend I took it out to a small gig. bam it smoked within the first set. Tough nite after that.

I took it back today. The manager noticed a crack in the case in the back. Hck I hadn't noticed it and I didn't drop it. Well he said he'd have to check with his manager about it. Great I thought, well he comes back in 10 minutes and pulls one off the the flloor (their only one in stock) and says here you go. No problem.

Did some paperwork and gave me a new receipt. Needless to say i'm happy AND I will not use it for a gig.

CP

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Glad to hear that the warranty coverage went well - doesn't speak well for the reliability of these amps, though.

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    My impression of the new Accoustic gear was that it was basicly a bargain basment priced product, of reasonable quality for around the house type stuff. Not the proffesional quality stuff that the name and cosmetics would imply. The original Accoustic amps/cabs were of very good quality.

The new Accoustic looks the part, but doesn't seem to be anywhere near the quality of the original.

Nice marketing IMO,

Plenty good enough for practice though (again IMO)

After my friends experience with multiple cabs, not gear that I would trust out gigging.

8. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I played with them for a while today. I thought they sounded OK but was skeptical of the durability and quality. GC just bought the brand name but these are basically whole new amps and whole new designs with the acoustic brand stamped on it. I think GC wanted a somewhat familiar brand name tied to their product. No one would buy a "Guitar Center" brand amp. Anyway, that is all this is, is a Guitar Center brand amp but with a different name stamped on the front. These are cheap bargain basement amps for entry level players. I was tempted to buy one but I'm going to pass.

9. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I hate to open this can of worms, but I wander if GC is looking at the Ampeg name.

10. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I work at GC, and Acoustic Amps are exchanged in store during the warranty period. If something goes out due to faulty parts or workmanship, we replace it. Of course it doesn't cover intentional abuse or misuse. Did you buy it from GC?

11. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I haven't heard anything about that, but it would be cool IMO!

12. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    That would be very interesting. The Ampeg brand would then be exclusive to Guitar Center and its affiliates. I guess that's not too different from Sam Ash owning Samson/Hartke but Ampeg is probably a much bigger name in bass amps than Hartke.

13. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Sure this is what you do now, but your warranty doesn't explicitly state that you replace it. This could change. 3 years is a long time. It might be you discontinue a model and sometime later a owner has a warranty problem. I doubt you'll exchange for a new model. More likely you'll have to fix the old.

That said, I've never had any problems returning or exchanging stuff at GC. It's always painless.