1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sarbecue Boss, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    I am in a position to possibly buy an acoustic 410(or 412?)series bass cab. I am extremely unfarmiliar wth acoustic amps and need to be informed.

-what kind of watts am I looking at here?

-2 ohms, what should I use for a head?

-what kind of price is acceptable, It is fine cosmetically, and in good working order

-when were these produced?

Any other amount of info on these cabs would be greatly aprecciated especially if there are some TBer's here wth personal experience

2. I have an acoustic 204 which is a 4x12 cabinet. They were made for guitar and generally sold with a 270 head and 2 cabinets. Mine has been ported and I have replaced the original speakers with Eminence Deltas. I love everything about it but the weight. They have an unofficial site at www.acoustic360.com. They made great stuff and almost everybody played through their gear in the 70's.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You really ought to check out links before you post 'em. That one is long dead and has been replaced by

http://acoustic360.homeunix.net/index2.html

I'm not sure about later Acoustic bass cabinets, but the ones from the late '60s/'70s all had either 1x18 or 2x15s for the most part...no bass cabinets with 10s or 12s that I know of.

4. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
  5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I and the rest of my band used Acoustic back in the late 60s when it first came out. I don't recall them ever making a 4x10 or 4x12 cabinet for bass. They did make a 4x12 cabinet for guitar. The first guitar one we got was a sealed back cabinet loaded with Electrovoice guitar speakers in a more or less vertical alignment. I ran a bass through it once just to try it out. Not very impressive. It would not have cut it for any gig use. Great rock guitar cabinet though.

Before you buy one of those, check to see what speakers are in it. The chances are it's designed for guitar.

I know some guys are using old Acoustic bass amps and cabinets. I never did like them much for sound but when they came out they were the loudest amps available and that's what was important then. These days there are many smaller and lighter amps and bass cabinets that blow the old Acoustic stuff out of the water. But some guys get turned on by that vintage thing. If that's what your main purpose is for getting an Acoustic, that's fine. I just wouldn't recommend it for serious gig use for bass.

6. eleveniseven

eleveniseven Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    acoustic amps are great if you want huge power and loud, i have an acoustic 370/301, it is the loudest amp ever. and there is no argument on the subject. no other amp i have ever seen anywhere was louder...but, like 62bass says, if its tone quality you are looking for, this is not the way to go. all the acoustic gear i have played has been very powerful and seems to be pretty bulletproof. but they sound very 70's and very very solid state, my particular has a very thick and straightforward tone, it is just a big fat in your face sound.
    i have seen the 412 cabs before, but they are for guitar, i have never seen an acoustic 410. but if you want to be loud grab a 301 cabinet, it will rattle your neighbors, across the street!

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    not an expert, but my guess is guitar cab. Owned a 360 for 30 years. Tone and volume to die for, but stairs were a biatch. I blew out back walls of most the clubs I played. :D
    In one real small club I turned it to the wall.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021