1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic B20 vs Peavey TKO 80

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5string5fingers, May 3, 2010.

1. Peavey TKO 80

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Acoustic B20

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Which would you choose as a practice amp? The TKO is used for 11 bucks more.

2. I'd choose the Acoustic. I love peavey... but their combos, IME, leave something to be desired. On the other hand Acoustic makes pretty darn solid combos.

3. anyone had any problems running effects with the acoustic? I plan on getting an ibanez PD7.

4. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    I say the Peavey only because i still have my first practice amp which is a TKO 65 it was used when i got it and the 20 years i've owned it it has never let me down theses things are built for life

5. I've got a Peavey TNT115 that I use for small gigs and rehearsals and it's built like a tank. The Acoustic stuff looks cheap to me. My vote is for the Peavey.:smug:

6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

The TKO is small venue gigable

7. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    I say go with whatever you really need to use it for.My friend has a Peavey and loves it, while I have an Acoustic and love it. Acoustic amps are built in China or where ever but they are actually great amps.

8. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I don't know if I've played the TKO 80 specifically, but I've played a lot of those Peavey Combos of various vintages over the years. They're all solid in my experience, tend to be very mid-voiced. For a practice amp, the B20 is really hard to beat. It is small, light, has a ton of great tone (in my opinion), is MUCH louder than you are probably thinking 20 watts would sound like, and has been solid for me so far (bought mine used on CL with a Ibanez GSR 200 Active Bass and a Roadrunner semi-hard gig bag for $80...sold the Bass for $125 with the case and kept the amp!!!)

I don't think you would regret either one. I imagine the Peavey is a bit bigger and heavier, and probably a bit louder. If this will truly be strictly a stay-at-home practice amp, I'd say B20, if you might try to press this into anything more than a very small acoustic gig, you might be better off with the Peavey.

I just recorded a quick demo just for kicks of my Jazz into a Xotic Bass BB and a BBE Opto Stomp into the B20 and it pretty much nails Billy Gould's overall tone (at least that's what I thought when I listened back). Very pro.

Hope that's helpful...

-John

9. I also might have a chance at a TKO 115. I'm watching some stuff on ebay at the moment. The TKO 80 is buy it now,but the 115 still has a little less than 2 days left. I want the 115 just because of the power.

10. MNAirHead

TNT is a bit more amp than a sitting around the house.. I gigged one for years.. zero issues.

A Vox amplug will sincerely do what most folks need at home.. and save your neighbors the hate calls

11. Sorry i meant TKO 115 not TNT. changed.

I'm not in a band right now which is why i'm looking at lower powered amps...but if i do get into one or jam with someone, i dont want to worry about having to go buy another amp to even play.

12. We have a Peavey TNT 115 that appeared at my house a few years ago. I think it's sound quality is pretty lousy and it's reeeeeally heavy (so heavy the one handle broke off when my room mate was lifting it).

I have a Peavey Mark VI head and Peavey 1x15 cab that i bought for a total of $125 and THAT combination sounds awesome.

13. MNAirHead

Din..

IN all fairness... how old is the TNT..

Folks will beat up a TNT.. long after they've thrown out several other amps.

Yes they're heavy.

14. Not sure about the TKO looks to be 80s though. the TNT doesnt look to be that old,maybe early 2000s 90s? Apparently the TNT has had the speaker replaced with a black widow.

Weight is not an issue....to an extent.

I keep going back and forth between something with band worthy power...and something to just practice with.

15. MNAirHead

mid 80s TNTs (noted 130) had factory Widows.. quite the setup..

for home use.. headphones are always a winner (cheap recording deck, amplug etc)

16. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Now that I see what you want to do I'll change my answer. The B20 is great for at home practice and probably for small acoustic gigs, or VERY small mellow electric gigs with a VERY light handed drummer, maybe...

The Peaveys your talking about can be pressed into service with a loud band, the tone won't be amazing when you're pushing it like that, but I've played many punk shows 'back in the day' with only one of those (I think an old 80 watt one...). In this respect the mid-heavy sound is a plus, because you otherwise wouldn't have the volume to be heard, but the mids help you cut through...

-JV

17. This is a totally fair statment!

However, i just say, because of it's oooook tone and its cumbersomness... i'd reccomend getting an equally as old and sturdy Peavey Head+Cab, which would prooooobably run about the same $$$. It'd be easier to transport as well and give better headroom.

I see Mark 3, 4, 6, and 7s allll the time in the $50-$100 range. And a peavey 1x15 or 4x10 cab can be found equally as often in the $100-$200 range.

So, just from my experience, i'd reccomend a good sounding and easierly transportable Peavy head+cab over the cumbersom TNT.