1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic B200 Extension Cab?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nasty Nate, Mar 28, 2012.

1. I play my Ibanez SRX 650 and Ampeg Big Stud (vintage 70s) through an Acoustic B200 combo without an extension.

I'm considering a 2x10 or 4x10 extension cab, cuz the 1x15 just doesn't have the punch i want for funk. anybody using one? love it? hate it?

I know the external speaker jack is wired as series so lower ohms = more volume, right? (its rated 200W at 4 ohms, the internal speaker is 4 ohms) I'm happy with the current volume, I just don't wanna decrease it.

Peace.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm assuming there's an extension speaker jack...if not, adding a cab becomes a giant PITA that's not even worth it IMHO. But if there is, you would have to add a 4 ohm extension cab only to make an 8 ohm load, and that would, indeed, lower your wattage, probably something like 120-125w. But what you would gain is a smoother and bigger overall tone. You likely wouldn't lose volume, but you likely won't gain much either.

That's often done with inexpensive combos to run them at 4 ohms so they can use a lighter amp and charge less for it. But you lose a level of expandability, so that's the tradeoff for weighing and costing less.

3. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Personally, I'd add a matching cab. And you may notice more volume even though you lose wattage. I sure did when I added an extension cab to my Roland CB100. I added a 4 ohm Eden cab.

For the punch you want, have you tried an eq in the effects loop (and yes, I know the B200 has a substantial eq section).

If that doesn't work, you might be better off trading the combo for the B200 head, and get a 4x10 with it.

4. As a sound bite - the B-115 drivers aren't going to give you much funk since the Acoustic gear is more old school. I have and use a B-115 a lot, but not for powerful venues as I find it lacking in gut punches and crystal highs unless one turns ON that piezzo.

I don't use any of the horns on any of my Acoustic gear since I find it too shrill and it produces lots of string and finger noise. .

But - the EQ is good enough to get you into that zone if you work with it and turn that Notch Filter to some area that doesn't impact you sound. Unfortunately on the B-200 and the B-200H one cannot disable the Notch Filter as one can on the B-450 and the B-600H.

If I wuz u - I'd keep that B-200 for more intimate venues and practice and just break down and get the B-600H and add a pair of B-410s to it, either together or individually for a lot of variety in your playing, power and venue-filling requirements.

The B-200H is pretty good and I've used one a few times with a single B-410, but really the extra wattage of a B-600H will pay you in spades - plus you can turn off that Notch Filter..

5. Yeah, I can get a decent Bootsy Collins type tone, but not a Marcus Miller type slap sound. I usually play with the horn on, so I'll try turning that off and messing with the EQ. Thanks for the feedback guys. A whole new rig isn't in the budget right now, but I'll keep the B-600 in mind.