1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic B200 Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dallas852, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Dallas852

Dallas852

May 5, 2009
    I bought an Acoustic B200 about a year ago and really liked everything about it. I never had a problem with it, until about 2 months ago. I started getting this strange high pitched whistle rattle. (Think Jetson's car sound that is the best way to describe it.)

I though it had something to do with my bass, but I wasnt sure. I took it into my local GC and plugged into it with a different bass, and it was making the same sound. The guy immediately said "it might be a speaker problem, not sure, so I'll just get you a new one". GREAT deal! Took the new one home, started playing on it, and already, not 2 months later, this one is doing it too. I'm so frustrated. I don't know what the deal is, and will probably just take it back and tell them its doing the same thing. Thing is, do I try a 3rd one? Or do I ask for my money back and put it towards something else? If they would even do that. Advice?

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Trade it in for another make amp in the same price range.

4. Dallas852

Dallas852

May 5, 2009
    Only when I was playing, and only when I play certain notes its seems like.

I like you idea of the head+cab. Maybe they'll let me trade it in for that?

5. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    +1 on the cab whistle. I have a small Acoustic combo and it whistles through the 1/4" jacks.

6. Dallas852

Dallas852

May 5, 2009
    How do you fix this problem?

7. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    The first part is finding where it is whistling from. If it's a jack, then 'fixing' it is difficult and requires some kind of modification. Some people open up the cab and put some kind of foam baffle inside. I just live with it. All the weird rattles and whistles the amp makes are part of my live sound. It may seem ridiculous, but in a noisy club, it isn't noticeable at all. If the problem wasn't present when the cabinet / amp was new, then it is possibly just a loose screw. Try turning all the screws until you find one that is loose.

8. orlando123

orlando123

May 26, 2009
    I like the idea of the separate head and cab too if they will allow you to move up to that. I have the B200 too, I really like the amp but it makes a weird buzzing sound like an electric shaver every once and a while. It's only noticed when I'm not playing. I thought maybe it was a reaction from a cell phone or something. I've had mine too long to complain about it now so I'm just living with it. I dont know whats causing it to occur.

9. For the jack hole - I've heard of just sticking a dummy jack into it. Just make sure it has no connections inside the jack itself.

That might get messy.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If it's a year old, take it back to GC
    You still have 2 years on the warranty
    They will exchange it.

11. Dallas852

Dallas852

May 5, 2009
    Another new problem is a louder than normal HUM when not playing. If I touch any of the jacks, the hum stops, but if I am not physically touching it, its loud enough to be picked up by our little home recorder. Any ideas what this might be from?

-Side note: I took my first one in, and they replaced it, this is the replacement doing these crazy things. Do they honor a second return, because I CAN'T stand what it is doing, and no new amp should be doing this. I want to ask for my money back, or just use that money I paid for it towards something else. Do they do that also, in anyone's experience?

12. As long as it's under warranty, it's covered whether it's the second one or the 10th.

13. Dallas852

Dallas852

May 5, 2009
    Awesome, well I know what will be going back this weekend. Just wondering if they'll replace it with something else. Guess thats probably a better question for them.

14. steveTM

steveTM

Jun 5, 2010
    i just bought a B200... and have been experimenting i was wondering what are the best setting to use for metal?:help:

15. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    steveTM, it might be better to create a new thread requesting suggestions. It also wouldn't hurt to list some example bands/tones, what effects you may use, your bass, and playing style.