Acoustic B410 - Worth upgrading the speakers to improve the sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Craig Webber, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Craig Webber

Craig Webber

Jan 18, 2016
    Boise, Idaho
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    You'd be better off buying a 5 gallon bucket of turd polish.

3. Craig Webber

Craig Webber

Jan 18, 2016
    Boise, Idaho
    OK then.... other than a t. bucket that would really muddy my sound even more, could you recommend a much better cabinet.
    Thanks

4. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    What head are you using? What don't you like about the cab?

5. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    FWIW I have their B810 and didn't find anything objectionable about it besides it's size and weight. If you find the B410 muddy try putting it up on a couple milkcrates so you can hear it better.

6. There's potential for it to improve sound. Some eminence b810 speakers would work. Generally they work well in sealed cabs like that. The thing with bass speakers is that they're supposed to be modeled to the cabinet for optional low end performance. It's not the end of the world if you just drop something in there, especially the eminence driver i just mentioned, but not necessarily ideal.

7. deathness

deathness

Jan 19, 2015
    BKLYN
    Eminence recently designed some neo speakers specifically for sealed cabs. Check us speaker or parts express for the exact model number. I have no idea how they sound but if you can calculate the internal volume of the acoustic cab, the folks at us speaker may be able to give you an idea of their tone and if it'll be an upgrade.

8. Craig Webber

Craig Webber

Jan 18, 2016
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks Pie_man_25 and deathness for your advice....

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Upgrading speakers might give you a better sound than you've got, but will never get you the best sound for your money.

Barefaced, Bergantino, Genz, Genzler are all top makes. There are many more. Start looking around, you can easily better this cab.

10. Craig Webber

Craig Webber

Jan 18, 2016
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks! I was looking at the Benz. It appears to be a good cabinet for the price point.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    IME, the most cost effective way to get good performance for your budget is to buy used gear.

12. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I have a couple, old PV 4X10's. The ones with the four 2" port holes. The speakers distort quite easily unless used in a biamped rig.

I bought a BUNCH of MCM 10's on closeout for $11 each. They are 150 watt, Eminence Beta 10 knockoffs. I have a few Betas, and these out perform them.

I put these in those PV cabinets. They are magnificent. The cabinets came alive. I did no figuring of porting, cabinet size, etc. But they kick, are punchy with solid lows, and high end clarity.

I use MCM current model 350 watt 12's in my rig (with an Eminence mid) and they out perform all my 15" cabinets. (EV, Black Widow and Carvin neo.)

I have used a lot of MCM drivers and have never been disappointed.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021