1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic B800H powers on, no sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zachary Ernst, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Zachary Ernst

Zachary Ernst

Oct 3, 2018
    Hello,

So I recently acquired an Acoustic B800H head with an Acoustic B410 mkII and the head has not worked since I got it. When it is plugged in, it powers on with the blue light on the switch turning on, however, it does not make ANY sound at all, to any output. As I have had little experience using heads and cabs, I am unsure if I am simply overlooking anything. While the power light comes on, none of the fans appear to spin and even when I put the gain up all the way, the clip light does not light up. This particular head has a mute button and I can confirm that there is no sound with or without it on, the same goes for all the other buttons. Is there something else I should be doing, or is the head simply shot? I know it is not the cab because I tested it with a different head and it worked. Thanks.

2. Hi Zachary. Welcome to talkbass.
    Nothing is ever totally "shot."
    It's more a matter of if it's worth fixing.
    That is something you will ultimately need to decide for yourself.

I'm assuming you didn't graduate at the head of your electronics repair class. ;)
    So you are probably best off to have it looked at by a qualified tech.
    If we know where you live, someone might be able to recommend a good repair guy.

And just to get you well indoctrinated into TB, I'll finish off with a bit of humor...
    All electronic devices operate on smoke. If the smoke gets out, they don't work anymore.
    If you can put the smoke back in, that should get it working again.
    However, it may take weeks or months for the Mojo to properly reform.
    Here is a product you might consider.
    images.

Seriously though. Good luck.
    I hope you can get it going.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If the unit has an Effects loop try linking the Send and Return with a signal cable to see what that does.

4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    What nobody is gonna mention the old effects loop trick?

If the effects loop is dirty or full of corrosion. Sometimes you get no output.

Unplug and replug a patch cable in the send and return a few times to hopefully clean them up a little. And likewise run a cable from send and return and see if you get signal from the output.

If you get signal either clean the send /return or there is a problem in the loop.

Likewise input jacks can go bad and need touch up from resoldering or just a simple cleaning. Same thing plug unplug the inputs few times to try n clean them.

5. Zachary Ernst

Zachary Ernst

Oct 3, 2018
    Hello,

Thank you for these recommendations. I tried doing exactely these things, I even used some compressed air to clean them out. Unfortunately, nothing changed.

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Need know if pre is dead or output is.

So see if you get signal from the send.
    If nothing, preamp not working. Could be simple as bad input jack.

If you got pre and no output. Could be simple as bad jacks / connections or dead output section.

7. Oh! I wish I had thought of the old effects loop trick.
    Hindsight being what it is, and knowing it didn't help, I'm glad I didn't. :whistle:

S-Bigbottom and agedhorse like this.
  8. Zachary Ernst

Zachary Ernst

Oct 3, 2018
    It seems as though it is not getting signal from the send at all, so it must be the input jack or something to do with the pre-amp.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Plug your bass into the Return jack and see if anything comes out of the amplifier.