Acoustic Baritone G****r to be used as Bass VI?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Aug 28, 2005.

1. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Hey! I'm looking for a good acoustic baritone g****r to be strung as a bass VI or a good 6 string acoustic bass. Know of any?
  2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I have a Jerry Jones Longhorn 6 that I love.
  3. I've only heard of one acoustic six string, i saw the links on on their new basses page, a daniel fernandez acoustic six string , and it looks like it was under construction, have a look though. I like to vist there and check out the lowend jazz's regularly and drool.
  4. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Perhaps you would enjoy a Gittarone or a Bajo Sexto from this site.
  5. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Hey Kelly, how do you like your Jones VI? Yours looks copper like my first one, I now have a copperburst one, and a Gretsch SynchroBass VI. Also a Jones Longhorn IV in greenburst and a Jerry Jones Master Sitar too.
  6. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I'm really liking the JJ 6. It (ahem) isn't really a bass in my hands; more of a low-strung guitar. But then again, I can play it guitar-fingerpicking style, or just burn it up with a pick. The bass-type fingerstyle I find to be really cramped on it. It does have more than the standard tic-tac sound in it -- you can get piano tone, dubby tones (with RH damping), and even jazz bass tones out of it. I have some pretty cool (I think) solo arrangements I've worked out on it in acoustic guitar style, although my trio wouldn't let me finish playing Angel in the Morning Saturday night.

I've really been tempted by the Master Sitar, although I seem to recall (from playing a Coral) that the resonating strings on these electric sitars don't really do much. Actually, if I was really deep in cash, I'd get the whole JJ set: sitars, electric guitar, and 4 string. Maybe sometime...
  7. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Wait, so if you say guitar you would get banned?
  8. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Shh... :ninja:
  9. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    What's your budget?

There are a couple of Aria acoustics that are just over $1K that would work well.

Aria AC-75b Classical Bass Guitar - 27.5" scale length

Aria AC-75CB Classical Contra Bass Guitar - 29.5" scale length

There are advantages to these as opposed to a standard 34" scale acoustic bass. The concert bass and contrabass use a lower tension string and the bridge is centered in the lower bout, both of which accentuate the fundamental of the standard E they are both tuned to (standard tuning on the concert bass is the B below a guitar's E but strings can be got to tune it to a bass's E). The concert contrabass is the better of the two for your purposes in terms of intention and tone.

A 34" scale acoustic bass will characteristically have a thinner, quieter sound because of much higher tension and an acoustically misplaced bridge.

My $.02

EDIT; Hago's guitar family page
  10. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist:,Rick Turner, GK, Malekko, Dredgetone, Pigtronix, DTAR
    have you ever heard the aria contra live..not on a cd/mp3, etc?

body looks awfully small to put out anything below a standard e,maybe dropped to a d..?

the only 6 string acoustic bass guitar I have ever heard do the do is the can hear them a block or two away in some of the little Mexican villages I have visted..

there must be some people here that play them..but it IS a learning curve..and a strength builder too.
  11. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I have indeed...

It isn't as loud as the guitarron to be sure, but construction is such that it takes advantage of the sound board better than a 34" scaled acoustic bass, and the light tension helps in accentuating the fundamental. They are comfortable enough to play sitting down which can't really be done with the guitarron.

Of the two the latter would be more responsive in lower registers (very double-bassish), but the neck is extremely short and range is limited severely as a result.
  12. CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Musicyo sells what is called the Avante Baritone which was supposedly designed by Joe Veillette and Michael Tobias. It's more than afforable and I've heard some pretty good things about it. It's meant to be tuned B-B or maybe even A-A, but with some tinkering you might be able to work it down to a bass guitar low E. They use to offer an acoustic/electric version also, but I don't see it on the site anymore...maybe out of stock and hopefully not out of production. Anyway, I think it's the only mid/low priced acoustic baritone guitar you are likely to find in production...most of the other stuff I've seen is pretty pricey.