1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Bass Amps? Such a thing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rrader1226, Jan 11, 2012.

1. rrader1226

rrader1226

Dec 30, 2011
    Ashburn, VA
    So this may sound like a dumb question, but just got an acoustic bass amp for the first time. Does anyone know if they make acoustic bass amps? or do you just use a regular acoustic or regular bass amps?

Sorry for the naivety. Every time I search on it, I get amps from the company Acoustic and can't find any info.

Thanks for helping out a noob!

-Rob
    :bassist:

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Acoustic Image comes to mind.... but more designed for a double bass than specifically an ABG.

P.S. Many stand up bassists use regular amps. Chris Wood from Medeski Martin & Wood uses GK amps with his double bass IIRC....

3. Winoman

Winoman

May 15, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    What is the make & model of the amp you got? (I know that Acoustic is a brand of amps/speakers, but it appears from your post that is not the make of the amp that you own.)

edit: Are you looking to buy an amp for the first time, or do you already have one? I guess I don't fully understand your question.

4. rrader1226

rrader1226

Dec 30, 2011
    Ashburn, VA
    I mis-typed.

I just got a new acoustic bass GUITAR. Looking to see if they make special amps for acoustic bass guitars.

Thanks guys.

5. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    there are some for upright bass that also work for ABG. acoustic image, euphonic audio, AER, SWR... all have combos voiced for this purpose.
    But these tend to be a little expensive. If you want something that works both for electric bass and ABG and isn't as expensive, you can search for heads with 1Mohm input impedance and 8" or 10" cabs that got a good flat sound. Just stay away from 15" for ABG.
    Markbass, GK and EBS usually sound good for ABG.

6. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    A bass amp is your safest bet.

Keyboard amps, and even a good PA amp would be perfect alternatives as well, and would likely be the best sounding choice, a full range giving you the lows plus plenty of the high-end sound that makes acoustic basses sound acoustic. ;)

Avoid acoustic GUITAR amps. At best you'll be missing the low end from your bass, and at worst you can damage the speaker from the low bass frequencies, as is the case for any regular guitar amp.

Plus acoustic guitar amps, in my opinion, always seem to be a little overpriced for what they are.

7. rrader1226

rrader1226

Dec 30, 2011
    Ashburn, VA
    Wow, thanks for the advice and for responding so swiftly. Much appreciated.

8. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Most decent-quality modern bass amps have full-range output, meaning they do not have any problem reproducing all of the harmonics and tones of an acoustic bass. Because of this, the market for "acoustic-specific" amps has dwindled to nearly nothing.

ii7-V7 likes this.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Hmmmm..... I thought it was because nobody buys acoustic basses and actually uses them.... what MTV called and wanted an unplugged? Come on, get an upright if you want to play acoustic.

But yeah, I've never seen an acoustic specific bass guitar and have seen plenty of acoustic guitar amps, so doubt they're too common if any. I'd think they'd all be for an upright anyways.

11. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    +1 to this being a small niche market. I agree that you should just get a bass amp and see what others with the same bass use......:)

12. bassplayer1960

bassplayer1960

Feb 22, 2008
    Acoustic Image combos are very fine for hollow and semi-hollow basses with piezo electronics. AI and AER have the best combos for these basses but were talking some serious cash.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just use one of my regular bass amps with my Breedlove. I think ABGs seem to work well with 12-inch speakers, so maybe a 112 or 212 would be a good cab for you, depending on the venue. You have to be careful about feedback, which is likely to occur if you get too close in front of your cab. I use a soundhole plug to cut the feedback.

14. John Burgess

John Burgess

Nov 28, 2011
    Australia
    Theres the markbass AC 121. It sounds very nice and has no trouble handling the bass.

15. redcloud

redcloud

Oct 6, 2011
    Have a look at the EA iAMP 550/EA M-Line Whizzy 112. After some consternation looking for a small & portable amp/cab solution, this is what I chose.

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Strawberry Blonde, California Blonde, Baby Blue. Too much cone area like 8x10s and you invite feedback.
    Proper ohm input or it won't matter.
    Some folks use small acoustic pre amps in between. Deals with the piezo pre ohm mismatch.

17. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I have a couple of acoustic basses and have found a few things to look for when buying an amplifier for them.
    Not all amps play well with piezo electronics so try your actual bass before you buy an amp.
    15" speakers will work but not as natural sounding as 8, 10 or 12" speakers.
    A tweeter isn't necessary and is something that you'll probably end up cutting out of the mix anyway.
    If you intend to play your ABG with any other amped instruments you need to look at something in the 300watt and up category.
    If you intend to play your ABG in a band setting with other acoustic instruments that won't be amped you can get buy with a very small 100watt combo.

Things I tried that worked good for me for an acoustic setting were the Phil Jones briefcase and the Acoustic brand AB50 wedge. Keep in mind, if you walk onto an acoustic setting with an amp of any kind you're going to get some raised eyebrows, so go small and inconspicuous. For a small venue amped setting I liked the Ashdown Mag300 EvoII 2x10 combo or the Acoustic brand B450, either one will keep up with drums and guitars played at normal levels.

Then there are the high dollar specialized beasts (EA iAMP, Walter Woods etc.) that I haven't tried because it just made no sense for me to buy one for something that I'll use less than 10% of the time I play. They are supposed to be great amps but if I went that route I'd be looking at used gear to get the costs down.

18. sricks3

sricks3

Dec 6, 2007
    Duluth, GA
    The jazz guys around here play their uprights through all sorts of different rigs. The only one that I've seen used by several different guys is the GK MB150 (S/E). I've never used one myself, but everyone I've seen using them sounded great.

Personally, I just use my early 90s Peavey TNT 115. It works for jazz, bluegrass, and blues very nicely (9 band graphic EQ helps).

Again, though, that's all for upright. I'd imagine the GK or the Peavey would work well with ABG, too, though.

19. Doesnt SWR make one called a Strawberry or California Blond that is a acoustic bass amp. I played one once with a VM Fretless and it sounded amazing.