Acoustic bass around 200 - 300 dollars.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Timbo, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Hi guys,
    I think I am going to want an acoustic bass just so when I travel I don't have to bring an amp.. Could someone point out a semi-decent one for around 200-300 dollars? 4 or 5 string doesn't make a difference. I know I am not gonna be getting a godly guitar for this type of price.. Or would I be better off going to guitar center and trying to pick up a used one?
  2. Michael Kelly makes some gorgeous acoustic basses. You won't find one new for that price, but maybe used? I have a 5-string with a great (albeit veneer) quilted maple top, sides, and back. It's got abalone all around the sound hole, and a great designed vine in mother-of-pearl up the neck.

Granted the quality of workmanship is not great, but it's not poor either. And the are gorgeous to look at.
  3. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My buddy has an Ovation 4 string that he's looking to sell. I think he wants 400CDN.
  4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine;$sessionid$VERHKWQAAA5D1TZENUFETIWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C940496&PRID=1238713

I've tried some of their other product line, and been ok with them...
  5. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I was looking at that one from rondo music, but I wasn't sure about the agile * or something * line.. I've heard goo dthings about SX though.
  6. fifthorange

Mar 13, 2004
    surprisingly enough, ibanex makes a pretty good acoustic bass for 300.
  7. SciFiGuy

Dec 27, 2003
    Madison, IN
    I found an Olympia ABG on ebay for $235 (new ones list at $500, I think). It's a cheap version of the Tacoma, but I like it. YMMV.

bad news: Olympia doesn't make cases for it, and a new Tacoma case will run you about $140.

other bad news: As far as travelling (sp?), if you take one of these, don't plan on bringing much else.

If I were you (and I'm not) I would keep my eyes peeled for a used bass of higher quality rather than a new one in that price range.

Also, a short scale might help in travelling, but you will loose something volumewise.
  8. Been thinking about an acoustic bass also. Would like to try a Micheal Kelly, do they play as good as they look? would have to get one shipped into the UK though, probably best looking for a good used bass on e-bay.
    This Washburn bass is on e-bay, not sure of the model, has any one had experience of these basses?

9. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    the looks like either a Washburn AB-10 or a AB-20 and they are really good for the money. Mike Kelly's are great for what you pay. Also these are out of your 200-300 price but if you can get your hands on a Larrivee' acoustic bass they are well worth the money.