1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic bass bridge pins

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tako Kichi, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Tako Kichi

Tako Kichi

Mar 30, 2006
    SW Ontario
    Hi folks,

I recently acquired an acoustic bass (MK Dragonfly II Fretless) and one of the first things I did was to change out the original strings for tape wound ones. On changing the strings I discovered that two of the four bridge pins had cracks in them :meh: .

I have asked the local music store and searched extensively online for a source of acoustic bass bridge pins but so far I am coming up empty. There are literally hundreds of sites selling acoustic guitar pins but they are too small for my bass. The pins are still holding the strings but I would like to replace them at the next string change.

Does any one have any leads to a source for the slotted acoustic bass bridge pins? Somebody must be making them after all ;) .

Thanks, Larry

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Have you tried contacking MK, or a dealer?

3. Tako Kichi

Tako Kichi

Mar 30, 2006
    SW Ontario
    I have emailed MK (no reply yet), spoken with my local guitar store and searched numerous online dealerships and luthier supply outlets with no luck so far.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    How about Warwick and Stu-Mac? They should have stuff like that I would think.

5. Tako Kichi

Tako Kichi

Mar 30, 2006
    SW Ontario
    I got a reply to my email to MK today which said the following...

I guess I am going to have to try emailing/phoning a few places as they are certainly not shown on the various website pages.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Try the repair department at Long and McQuade's Toronto, Bloor St. store. I had the same problem with my Godin and the repair guy had some of the large ones in his parts bin.

The salemen won't know anything though. You have to get the repair department directly.

7. The pins aren't supposed to hold the strings, by the way. They just push the ball ends where they're supposed to be, and string tension keeps them on after that.

8. Tako Kichi

Tako Kichi

Mar 30, 2006
    SW Ontario
    Thanks for that tip. We have a L & McQ in the nearest city (Windsor) so maybe they might have some (or be able to get some). The music store in the nearest town (Leamington) deals with 'All Parts' and their 'luthier/repair guy' is going to make some enquiries for me on Monday.

9. Tako Kichi

Tako Kichi

Mar 30, 2006
    SW Ontario
    Yeah I realise that ;) . It looks like the E and A strings were slightly wider than the slot in the pins and tension 'spread' the groove in the pin causing them to split. :rollno:

When I get some new ones I will make sure that I file the slot a touch wider to make sure the strings seat correctly. :)

10. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Try a guitar end pin - the friction type, not the screw in buttons. Tried one on my Godin and it fit fine - I didn't even have to groove it since the strings sit in little slots in the holes in the bridge plate.

11. Tako Kichi

Tako Kichi

Mar 30, 2006
    SW Ontario
    Thanks for that tip, if I can't get the correct size pins I will look into that.