Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Bass - classical style

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassFelt, Jan 17, 2006.

1. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I recently picked up an nylon-string, classical guitar style, acoustic bass. It's built by Ricardo Sanchis in Valencia in '91.
    http://www.rsanchiscarpio.com/castellano/indices.html
    I had seen this style of basses in a few specialized stores before, but this one was different because it's 34", and the body is bigger. It also has a, for this type of bass, unusal (and ugly) asymetric headstock).
    It has a surprisingly loud sound, far louder and deeper than any other acoustic bass I've played, including Tacoma's and a Taylors. It's probably comparable to a guitarron in volume (dB's, not cm3).

Does anyone have experience with this kind of instruments?

2. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Nobody???

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Well, there aren't any pics of the bass that I could find on the builder's site, and you didn't post any pics, and I only know of one other similar instrument and that is a bass/baritone nylon strung guitar sold under the Aria name.

I think it is more appropriate to ask *you* if you know of any similar instruments since you actually own one...

FWIW, it sounds like you now own a custom instrument.

I'd love to see some pics of it, that's for sure.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have LaBella Nylon tapewound strings on my Thunderchief. That doesn't count?

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Only if stringing my Tacoma with TI Acousticores counts :) I played them on that bass for a while and it certainly did feel like a giant classical-style guitar.

6. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Ok here are a few pix. Sorry for the flash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Fretlessrock: I know there aren't pictures of this instrument on the builders' site. I just included it to provide some additional info. I don't see why I should supply info on other brands when I'm asking other bassists' about their experience with classical style basses, especially how they function in a live playing situaton. But since you asked: I've seen three or four brands, ranging from cheap to fairly expensive but I don't recall the names. I've also seen a six string, which one could call a baritone: the size is in between mine and a regular classsical guitar, and tuned an octave lower than a standard classical guitar.

The strings are different that the TI's. They look and feel exactly like the silver colored basstrings of a classical guitar, except much thicker of course.

I would have thought that of the many readers here someone might have some experience with these things. I guess I can move this post to the "who has a bass no one on this board has?" thread :)

8. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I've never played or seen one, but that is exactly what I am looking for. Well, the strings in particular. Any idea where to find strings like that?