Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Bass Feedback Problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Manitou, Sep 16, 2002.

1. I picked up an Olympia 4-string acoustic. When I compared the unplugged tone between it and the Thunderchief, I couldn't hear a huge difference, and plugged in, I thought the Olympia sounded as good, if not a little better.

Well, at band practice, I wanted to use it for a couple of songs, and the feedback was horrendous. I messed with volume and EQ settings, but couldn't completely eliminate it.

Is there anything else I can try? Do any of the so-called feedback killers actually work without killing the tone? Should I just bite the bullet and get the Tacoma, which has a notch filter built in?

Your advice, as always, would be much appreciated.

Dave

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've had the same problem with a borrowed Tacoma with the Baggs preamp. The Fishman Prefix Plus with the Notch knob eliminates feedback entirely in my (rather limited) experience. A graphic EQ may work as well.

3. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    i dont exsactlyknow what type of acoustic bass your talking about. but by the forum its in im going to assume that it is the type that looks like an acoustic guitar. not an upright. i mostly play upright which is notorius for feedback and my advice is if you have a gain stage keep the gain turned down. if you need more volume you have to turn the master volume up. at least thats what my experiences have been on upright.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Feedback is the reason I don't play my ABG at gigs.