1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic bass fetish club Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Jun 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Just picked up the 5 string Ovation acoustic.

ovation.

2. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Nice set!

mapleglo likes this.
  3. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Another pic:

ovation5.

Played it some more this morning. Really nice tone through the amp, and very handy to just pick up for playing along with the stereo.

B-Mac, HeavyDuty, TCaetano and 4 others like this.
  4. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Low B or High C?

5. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Low B.

admh1972 likes this.
  6. Although the recent discussion about changing the strings scared me more than a bit, I went ahead and put some phosphor bronze on.
    (Fender 8060; 45-65-80-100)
    It went down trouble-free.:oops: Sorry.

Not sure how I like the bright colour, the stock strings were black which I liked.

I also installed a crazy thumbrest. Here's a closeup of it:
    1557944965150-7568630.
    It is more for orientation than actual support of the thumb. It is made of some leftover nuts and bolts.:bag:

7. upload_2019-5-15_19-42-5.

Just about to pull the trigger on a Fender CB-60SCE....right price and good reviews played one before and was impressed with the tone.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    tfer likes this.
  8. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Really like the one with the Maple FB.

mapleglo likes this.
  9. Photo 18-05-2019, 10 14 46.
    NBD.....the jury is still out on the bright strings, so used to flats on my electrics, very nice tone though

B-Mac and TolerancEJ like this.
  10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Bend your index finger so finger tip to second joint are parallel to string. Your tone will be meaty full and warm. This is essentially how uprights are played pizzicato. The brightness of your strings will enhance attack and upper harmonics while you produce those lows.

Also DR acoustic bass strings aren’t brash and clangy compared to other brands. D’Addarios are second best in this regard. Depending on the bass Martin strings can be horrible while on Martins they sound great.

Adjusting how hard you fret by lifting slightly can either make fret buzz or soften the tone enjoyably.

RedVee and admh1972 like this.
  11. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    I used to use Martins on my Tacoma but could never find the 5-string sets any more. Went to D’Addarios after running Tomastik Acousticores for a while which were just so pricy. They are great on my Turner though!

12. I was looking at the Tomastik as a possible upgrade once these strings are ready for a swap but yeah they are pricy, might just stick with my usual brand and get the Rotosounds, will see when the time comes. After playing for a bit I'm getting used to the difference. Cheers for the advice @chadds

chadds likes this.
  13. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    My problem with bronze string is how their sound clashes with the look of an AEB.

AEBs seem big and warm - but as soon as you play a note, it’s like garbage can lids get smashed together.

It’s tapes all day long for me. Realistically, you’re gonna have to amplify the bass as soon as you’re competing with a single guitar, so the fact that they are so much quieter is irrelevant.

Last edited: May 19, 2019 at 2:37 PM
    admh1972, Holdsg and Jughead6 like this.
  14. Yeah it's going to be blasted through a Fender Rumble 500 so no need to worry about strings being quiet

tfer likes this.
  15. Tdub77

Tdub77

Feb 10, 2016
    Bozeman, MT
    I have TI's sound great to me. Low tension though so be careful if that's an issue for you.