1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

acoustic bass GAS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Sep 24, 2008.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    hi all,

im badly gassing for an Acoustic Bass guitar... :hyper:

I wanted something to play around, take with me when i travel or when im staying at my girlfriend´s house...

anyway, i though that a FRETLESS acoustic bass sounds great! but then, looking at the website i found a 5 STRING acoustic fretless... i´ve never played a 5 string but the narrow string spacing fits me well...

i dont know what to do, i´m going to get either THIS or THIS
    but i dont know if going from 4 string fretted electric (my main jazz bass) to 5 string acoustic fretless is a step to big to take at once... if it´s worth it... hum... whats your opinion?

2. Norge

Norge

Apr 22, 2008
    I'm doing the exact same thing, with the same bass. But you better have a huge load of patience. Thoman is slow as hell when it comes to international shipping.

At first, they told me I'd have the bass by the 22th september. Then they put it to the 26th. And now they've said it'll take 2-5 days to even get it back in stock for 7 days....

I placed my order the 6th of september......

3. you're gassing for a Harley Benton?????

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have always gassed for an acoustic and have owned a Michael Kelly 4 string fretless. I've played about 10 different ones and still have not found one I like. In fact the the one that I though sounded as good as the the midrange acoustics was the Dean Playmate for $199 !!! But the electronics are not as nice. I did like the Tacoma's but then we are getting up in price.

I also read a thread a while ago that basically stated that the 5th string was fairly useless on an acoustic. I have no first hand knowledge of this so I recommend playing one first.

I keep going into GC because they are constantly turning over brands and models of acoustics and I play everyone I can get my hands on. Forgot to mention...last time I was there, I played the Victor Bailey and it was quite nice. My instructor gigs with one in his acoustic duo.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been playing Tacomas for a number of years. I replaced my trusty four with a five a few years ago and have no issues with B sting usability at all.

I make a habit of playing all ABGs I find in stores, and I honestly haven't found one I like as much as the Tacomas. They're worth it.

6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    +1 ... I love my Thunderchief, and would love to find a fretless 4 (or just a neck from a broken guitar).

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Rusty, talk to Elderly - I have two fives. The first one has a broken headstock from shipping, and the seller abandoned it to me after the claim was paid. Elderly indicated they could probably get and install a Tacoma original fretless neck for me.

8. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I had a 5-string ABG several years ago, and wasn't really impressed with it. I imagine it would take a very skilled luthier or respectable manufacturer to be able to make a low B on an ABG worth having, given that it's hard to find a good ABG that projects well as it is.

If you're open to suggestions, I did get a chance to play some Takamine ABGs that I was fairly impressed with. Maybe they would interest you?

9. dustdbass6

dustdbass6 Alembic User

Apr 24, 2007
    Livermore, California
    Anyone have or heard of anyone that makes an AGB 5er but the 5th string is the high C instead of the low B? I want one of those fretless.

10. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I've never seen/heard of an 5-string ABG with a high C instead of a low B... Of course I've heard of six-string ABG's, played by the likes of Steve Bailey. I've never played an ABG with a low B, but I would bet that finding a bass that projects a low B well would be hard to find.

11. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Yea its a low-end brand but their acoustic sounds great :p

12. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player Supporting Member

Check out this Michael Kelly fretless. Custom Club, I think.

Sounds really cool to me. Wish I could play like that!

13. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Is there an inexpensive, fretless AGB on the market?

14. edmidlifecrisis

edmidlifecrisis Registered mediocre bass player Supporting Member

The Michael Kelly is $450US at Elderly. It also comes in a 5 string and comes in fretted too.

15. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Check the links that the TS put on. Sweet fretless agb with sweet sound for 166 Euro. That is 243$

16. Be aware: I've owned an ABG and seen many others and there is no way you can play along with others - even if they are acoustic - without some amplification. YMMV

17. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    While I don't know the ABG market in Europe, I do own a MK Dragonfly 5 string fretless strung E-C.

The only ABG producer I know of that sells their 5's with a C string is Dave Maize (Clips). In all other cases, it's a simple as changing the strings (EADGC).

Also check out the Acoustic Bass Club (link in my sig).

Edit:
    Really? If they are actually playing with you, it won't be a problem. If those you play with are stuck in forte, then the ABG is still not the problem.

Yes, if you want to play to an audience bigger than a handful, you'll probably need an amp. What an ABG offers, and it's easy to get thrown off by the "acoustic" part, is sweet, sweet tone. See the OP's first link for an example.

18. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Except for the YMMV part, this is simply not true.

19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I have a very nice fretless ABG 5 .
    It's loud and has tone.
    Henning Doderer made it.
    Unfortunately I will have to part from it for financial reasons.
    I will get another one as soon as my situation changes though!!

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have had gas for a number of years for one of those big guild acoustics used on MTV Unplugged. :cool: