Acoustic Bass Guitar for "Unplugged" Gigs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Hey. I am currently looking into buying an acoustic/electric bass guitar for some unplugged concerts and for making songs with mellow tones. My older brother is buying a $1500 Gibson acoustic guitar, and I need a good bass under $900 that I won't get shown up by a Gibson, and I'm not gonna regret buying. I have looked at
    I like the Martin a lot. So much that I've got wood. And on that piece of wood there's some knobs, strings, tuners and ****. Haha. I just had to say that.Anyways. Help me find the best bass that will age like wine. Peace and Happy New Year.
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sorry, but I had to edit that, Mick.

Have you looked at a Tacoma Thunderchief yet?
  3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Try a Tacoma Thunderchief before buying anything. The model with the Prefix Pro preamp (which is the one to get IMO) was about $1100 when I got it (when they first came out - I had to wait 6 months before the case was available - that price includes the case).

IMO the Tacoma is the only ABG to consider.
  4. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    ive used a washburn ab-10 low end model to good effect on several acoustical gigs b4. 2 guitars and bass.

looks cool too with the black body with binding and sharp cutaway.
  5. Godin?

I think these basses are just local here, but down at one of the stores hey have "Santa Ana" stuff. It's fairly cheap, but the acoustic sound is pretty good. I would think that an acoustic guitar will drown you out...
  6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have a Fender BG29. It has a great tone, plays great, and sounds good plugged in. It gets drowned out easily by acoustic guitars so if you don't plan using a small amp, I would get something with a bigger body that can put out more sound.
  7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Martins have great tone but don't project very much. Plugged in they are great too.

If I needed to play unplugged, it would be with a Taylor. But I doubt you'll find one in that price range.

The Tacomas do shout. I think the tone is a but hairier, but some like that.

For an economy, the Epiphone El Capitan is also one of the loudest AEBs out there.
  8. It does indeed! Very under-rated bass, I think. But still needs amplification, as noted!
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would recomend to him the Godin A4.
  10. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    I actually just got a Fender BG-32. This bass really suprises you when you plug it into a nice warm tube amp. I think no matter what accoustic bass you get, you will have to amplify it. That has always been the problem with them. Ernie Ball experimented for many years trying to perfect the bass, but later on rendered it impossible. What was really weird about plugging in the BG-52 is that mine actually sounded like John Entwistle's old bass sound. I played the My Generation solo on it, and it sounded fantastic. I have many solid bodies, but this had that old Who tone for some reason. Not an expensive bass, but i highly recommend it.
  11. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    Oh yea, the BG-32 is a jumbo-styled body, it would go along visually with a Gibson jumbo bodied accoustic. i never played a BG-29, but the BG-32 looks to be larger in size, hence it may have more accoustic sound output (non-amplified). i maybe wrong.
  12. Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    I own a beautiful Ovation Celebrity Bass to jam acoustic..
    I'm full satisfied with it, and it is cheap