1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic bass guitar - Wechter 9400 or Tacoma Thunderchief

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Solofunkyjazz, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Solofunkyjazz

Solofunkyjazz

Sep 15, 2008
    Coventry UK
    I'm really seriously considering buy an ABG.

I have the chance to buy a used Wechter 9400, which is in mint condition, or a Tacoma Thunderchief for the same price.

Anyone have any experience of both, or any opinions ?.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My Tacoma Thunderchief is a work of art. My brother has a Wechter guitar; it is also a work of art. Tough choice, I don't envy you the decision! Either way you'll win IMO.

3. joereda

joereda Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Atlanta
    I like the body and the headstock better on the Tacoma. Of course I'm biased, as I have one for sale. Seriously, I love the Tacoma sound, feel and looks, but I don't get much opportunity to play ABG.

4. Solofunkyjazz

Solofunkyjazz

Sep 15, 2008
    Coventry UK
    Thanks for your replies - much appreciated.

I'd be using it mainly for jazz type stuff, is one better than the other for this sort of thing.

Jonas Hellborg is a big influence on me, that's what attracted me to the Wechter.

5. Solofunkyjazz

Solofunkyjazz

Sep 15, 2008
    Coventry UK
    How do they sound amplified ?.

6. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Tacoma sounds good amplified, not great.

7. radapaw

radapaw

Mar 22, 2000
    Canada
  8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think the Wechter is the better deal, but it all comes down to personal preference.

9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The Tacoma is a very good ABG, and the ones I've tried have been better than just about any other "commonly available" ABG I've been able to get my hands on.

On the other hand, the Wechter is a pretty rare beast, so I think you'll have a hard time finding someone else who has experience with it. Personally, I'd love to try one myself--Hellborg was also a big influence on me! So I agree, the Wechter is almost certainly a better deal. It might also be a better bass, but it's hard to say without being able to check it out.

Mike

10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  11. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yeah, and if the Wechter isn't all you want, it should pose no trouble to offload and get a infinelty easier to find Tacoma.