1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Acoustic Bass Guitar??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by appledyl, Sep 25, 2010.

1. appledyl

appledyl

Mar 22, 2010
    Is it worth it to get an acoustic bass guitar, or would a normal acoustic guitar be a better idea? What is the purpose of acoustic bass guitars?

2. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    I don't really think their worth it unless you like the sound of them plugged in. They aren't really loud enough to be played in an acoustic environment with anything more than an acoustic guitar. If you add in some bongo-type drums and singing most acoustic basses will be completely lost. So most likely, you will need to lug a small amp with you anyway.

3. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    My acoustic bass guitar to me is a no nonsense, pick it up and practice insturment. It is also a great finger and hand workout because to play with some guitars really requires you to dig in and play hard to be heard even at all. I also play it plugged in for that hollow uprigh like vibe. And it sounds just straight mean with some hairy high gain loud stuff as well. Just be carefull with the feedback.
    Still some on this forum hate them. To each their own.

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    They can be very useful. Practice wise you don't need an amp. For the acoustic duo/trio thing they can sound great. On duos you can run them thru a p.a. on a stick with acoustic guitar and voices without fear of overload. I used mine alot for a while and now haven't for a while. Make sure if you get one it has a 34 inch scale...the 32's tend to sound thin acousticly

5. if you are genuinely teetering between ABG & acoustic guitar, I suggest you research the traditional role of both a bit more.

6. There are all about those spontaneous moments where you see it hanging on the wall and pick it up and have a mini jam session on old bass lines you used to play.

7. I play mine all the time for quiet practice, recording and the few gigs I play in a duo with a classical guitarist. I play mine like an acoustic bass guitar but many want it to sound like a faux upright which will never happen.

8. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I play my acoustic @ least 3 hours per week, its a great workout and after a long day in the feilds (farming) its lighter on my legs!

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This question seems to get answered every week. I've answered it multiple times in the last few weeks. Try a search.

Short answer: They sound great with acoustic instruments, usually need to be plugged in.