Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pete_the_beat, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Can anyone recommend an affordable acoustic bass guitar. Not a double bass. I mean an acoustic bass guitar.

And by the way. Which is best.
    Pick-up or mic for amplification.

-Peter

2. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Theres an ibanez, which is ok, then theres a squire, which is not too bad, but very quiet. I've heard the dean and the epiphone are not bad. Also, tacoma makes a squire type bass, olympia, which is my favorite, becaudse i really like the tacoma.

3. use the search function, there are many many informative threads that talk about acoustic bass guitars........ABG's...I honestly don't care for them, but a nice Jack Cassady bass would function with a dual purpose :D

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Personally I like the Carvin thin bodied acoustics, very easy to play and great tone. The Tacoma is by far my favorite for a full depth acoustic, the Martin is good too,, the Ibanez Artwood is a good affordable option, but DON'T get the Fender! IMO not a very good sounding or playing bass.

I have not had the opportunity to play a Taylor or Guild, those are pricy but probably very well built.

5. I've got a Carvin AC50. It's more of a hollowbody than a true acoustic, but it has excellent playability and tremendous tone. With Labella black tapes, it's got a very woody, upright-ish tone.

I also have an Olympia 4-string which is just a wonderful instrument. This is the cheaper version of the Tacoma Thunderchief and I got mine with a case for less than 400 bucks brand new. I put Labella black tapes on her too and she's got growl and monstrous tone. It's even got enough volume to hang with an acoustic guitar or two and a vocalist - I've done it.

Both of my acoustic basses have transducers/piezo bridges and the Oly's got a 3 band EQ on it, so I've only ever plugged them in. I've never tried miccin' either one.

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I play a Tacoma CB10F fretless ABG and I like it very much. The Olympia basses are the same design and are imported. The body is pretty much a tuned bass reflex box and it projects well. You won't be blowing anyone away with the unplugged volume of any ABG, but this design is louder than most.

I use the piezo system for stage and combine it with a mic when recording. It really does get a good acoustic bass sound on tape. I'll try to get the mic right near the soundhole and then test it for boomieness and other noises.

IMO, you can't bet the price on the Olympia basses.

Pete

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Check out the Jasmine series from Takamine. I got this one for $400. Plays and sounds great
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Hey thanks for the input guys.
    It helped alot.

Hey nice looking ABG Rick Blanc. Does it have a built-in pick-up.

9. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

My priciple basses are both semi-acoustic Godins, fretted and fretless. Excellent basses with a lot of tonal variety. They are thin body, w/o sound holes and so feedback is not an issue. I can get everything from an upright-ish sound to a jaco/jazz tone from these...even slapping and tapping.

They have enough acoustic vol for private parctice but do require amping for playing (and there is a entirely different issue regarding amplifying piezos....quite different than amping magnetic pus).

High quality and verstatile...worth looking into.

Max

10. have you ever heard of Santa Anna?

Maybe they are local.

But I was playing one, it was about 50 bucks cheaper than a MIM, but it sounded and felt really nice. I never plugged it in, but the acoustic sound was plenty!

11. I have a Dean Performer ABG for sale if you're interested in a 5'er. Its a great bass, I just have little use for an acoustic anymore. Ad is located in the FS section, or just get hold of me.

12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah, a piezo and a 3 band active eq

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Okay, I wanted to wait until i had truly tried out my new Olympia before responding on this thread.

Took my Olympia to Yonder Mountain String Band's Kinfolk fest (and what a fest it was!!) over the weekend and put her through the test. Here are my results (note that all playing was outdoors with no amplification from anyone with whom I was jammin):

Scenario 1:
    Jammed with my buddy and his Martin acoustic 6 string and had no problems at all being heard. He really dug the sound.

Scenario 2:
    Jammed with said buddy, a mandolin player and a banjo player and the banjo player remarked that the bass just "booms" (his word). They were very impressed with the sound and with how well it cut through.

Scenario 3:
    Jammed with said buddy and some maniac mando player (who only knew one tempo - VERY fast :rolleyes: - and ONLY played as loud and as hard as possible :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) that evening in cold weather. My buddy's Martin constantly went out of tune, as did the mando freak's instrument. The Olympia held its tune nicely throughout and I was able to be heard over said maniac's loud mando.

So in sum, I'm very pleased with the Olympia. For the money, it did everything I needed it to do. Only had to adjust the trussrod and she was good to go.

Just throught I'd toss that in for anyone looking for some more real world recommendations.

Oh yeah, I paid $265.00 for it and it is equipped with a Fishman pre.