Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic bass guitars and who here plays them.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zoroaster03, May 13, 2003.

1. I'm curious to know how many people go and play gigs unplugged. It seems to me that people I speak to either think that basses are always eletric or they're the double basses. I know this isn't the case - so what are your thoughts on acoustic basses?

Cheers, and thanks in advance for your imput.

2. I play a Taylor AB-1 on some songs, but I use the built-in Fishman pickup. It sounds great, with more of an authentic acoustic sound, but not as good as my Kay upright. As far as playing "unplugged" is concerned, the Taylor needs the amplification. However, I did mike it once and it sounded very good. The only problem was that I had to stay positioned directly in front of the mike at all times.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I believe Max Valentino makes extensive use of electro-acoustic basses - he does post to Talkbass but I haven't seen him around lately.

For all but the smallest events, you'll probably have to amplify the bass anyway, which is why electro-acoustics are far less common on stage. However, some bassists get a tone they really like from electro-acoustic instruments and so use them anyway.

Wulf

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I don't use my Shuker ABG unplugged either in a live setting. But then, I don't use acoustic guitars unplugged either, as a rule.

I have, however, recorded the ABG with a mike in the studio, with good results.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I play my acoustic regularly in church and practicing with my brother for our little acoustic trio. We don't really play out though, unfortunately.:(