Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Acoustic Bass Guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cogno, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    I am In the Market for an Acoustic Bass Guitar. I have owned the large Guild at one point , but was disapointed in its volume. I here that the Martin BC15 is good as well as the Tacoma CB10. Taylor is out of my range. Any feedback? (no pun intended) Thanks, Cogno

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cogno, welcome to Talkass!

The Martin and the Tacoma are probably 2 of the loudest, but unfortunately no acoustic bass guitar is loud enough to accompany other musicians without using an amplifier.

For that, you would need an upright bass.

3. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    I have an upright (Strunal with a Carved top) I am just to damn lazy to tote it eveywhere. I will probably end up having to bring a small combo anyway. Thanks for your input.

4. Both the fretted and fretless Tacomas are very nice basses in my opinion. Earlier this year I gave serious thought to buying a Tacoma. Essentially I decided between a fretless Tacoma and a fretless Musicman. I ended up getting a fretless Stingray 5 because I was looking more for an electric tone (and I really like the massive sound of the Stingray's low B).

I think Tacomas are flat out nice basses, though you will still need an amp.

By the way, Tacoma makes 5 string basses now, just thought I'd mention that. I have yet to play one.

5. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Embellisher I just wanted to bring to your attention that you officially welcomed Cogno to Talkass! At first I thought it might be a joke but I doesn't seem like you. I hope I haven't offended you.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Ibanez makes a surprisingly good 32" scale acoustic that can be had for relatively little cash. Great Fishman onboard and the thing plays like a much more expensive instrument. Model number is AEB30-LG.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Oops!

I guess that we all make mistakes from time to time.

I must have thought that I was on one of those other boards!:eek:

Let's try this again.

Cogno, welcome to Talkbass!:p:D

8. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I love the Tacoma acoustic basses. IMO the fretless is far superior to the fretted. The 5 string version is also lacking, the b string being weak compared to the rest of the strings.

The 4 string fretless is one of the best fretless basses out there, however. Check one out if you get the chance.

9. I don't own, but I've played both the Martin and the Tacoma (fretted 4) and I thought the Tacoma was far superior in feel and volume. I've played three different Tacomas and they've all been fantastic. Plus it's a small company that would appreciate your business more than Martin!