Acoustic Bass Neck Dive help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, May 20, 2016.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have a Washburn AB-35. 5 string 35" scale. Jumbo body. Huge neck. Super heavy. Massive neck dive. Anyone have any ideas how I can compensate for this. Playing the bass is making my left arm super sore.

2. Try a wide strap that is suade on the side against your body, or put felt on the strap you have now so it
    will grip your body. The other thing you can do is run your strap up to the end of the neck on the other side of the nut. They have products for acoustic guitars that wrap around that area you can attach your strap to.

3. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have tried a couple of straps with all sorts of dimensions and materials. Nothing changes. However, the "Classic" style of the strap around the nut thing would work ok except this is a jumbo body, 35" scale acoustic bass. I would have to find an extremely long strap. Standard straps are not long enough..

4. Another thing you can try is to wrap your right forearm with an ace bandage or something and rest your forearm on the body of the bass so it counteracts the downward movement of the neck. I do this with my Jack Casady bass. I don't wrap my arm, but some like it to keep the binding or sharp edges on the body from digging into your arm. They make a product that is leather that wraps around the headstock near the nut and fastens there. You attach your strap to it. You can make a strap extension out of a piece of leather to make it longer if you need to. I had one for my Kala U bass, but I added a strap button to the back of the neck where it glues to the body so I don't use it now.

iriegnome likes this.
  5. 51w-PdDNIPL._SY355_.jpg Here's one!

6. [​IMG]

iriegnome likes this.
  7. upload_2016-5-22_14-22-40.png

Groove Doctor and iriegnome like this.
  8. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    also.. are you sure your arm is sore from holding up the bass and not just holding your arm far out from your body? The bass and neck really can't weigh that much... I'm guessing much of it may just be holding your arm out so far. Can you try and adjust the way you hold it?

lz4005 likes this.
  9. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I play an ABG exclusively, and have found, a stool with a well placed foot rest, puts the bass on my right thigh with my right arm resting comfortably on the lower bout. Arm on the lower bout = neck dive counterbalance.

10. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Ok. I just bought the D'Addarrio acoustic strap quick release. Hopefully it will make my hemp strap long enough. Fortunately they are only $4!!

1stnamebassist likes this.
  11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    They are the cheapest and fastest solution.

I mean.. You could use a shoelace but then you can quick release.

iriegnome likes this.
  12. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I like the idea of being able to leave it in place when I put the bass in its case. Also, no permanent anything on the bass.

13. If using a strap, feed the tail end of the strap under your belt (between you/your jeans & your belt). Will need to let lengthen the strap slightly.

Angling the neck between 30°-45° also helps on most basses/guitars.

iriegnome likes this.
  14. I had one those too. The neck is somewhat tree trunk like and I got terrible hand strain. Sold it! I don't think the suggestion from 1srnamebassist to use an attachment to the end of the neck would work. The neck is very long as it's 35in scale. You'd need such a long strap you'd probably have to use a length of rope

iriegnome likes this.
  15. They have all kinds of rope at the hardware store!

iriegnome likes this.
  16. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    People are really amazed at how big this bass really is. It is Double Upright sized. I mean really. It is pretty ridiculous how huge this bass is. I believe I stated early on that because of the jumbo body and the 35" scale, a strap to the headstock would have to be a super long strap.. But, hey it was $4. Maybe it will work..

17. My acoustic is 32" scale Fender Tbucket! Or my Kala Ubass!

18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    The bass is 49" long (body, neck, headstock).. 5" deep body.. That is a long way for a bass

19. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    ^^^
    Both my ABG's are similar in size and I can play 3 hour gigs with no problem because I use a stool.
    "C" bout on the right thigh shifts the bass to the right, and puts the lower register in a very comfortable location.

20. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I used a stool 2 weeks ago for my concert. This is why I was asking for advice.. Did not work very well with just the stool

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021