1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

acoustic bass or portable amp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rudiyoyo, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Rudiyoyo

Rudiyoyo

Jul 18, 2008
    Hello, i'm new to these forums so i'm sorry if i posted this into the wrong section. Anyway, i'd like to play outside with my friends who play acoustic instruments or sometimes, i just want to play outside of my house, so i'm having trouble deciding whether i should get an acoustic bass or a portable battery-powered amp like this one:
    http://www.bizrate.com/musicalinstr...0-recharging-portable-bass-amp--pid560623119/

I'm liking the idea of a portable amp more, but having an acoustic bass guitar seems more convenient. So what would you guys recommend and also what particular guitar/amp you think i should get? note that i'm no hardcore musician or anything, my Apollo guitar which i got for 150€ and a 65W Kustom amp work perfectly fine for me, so i'd just like to have something cheap to fool around with.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you do some reading in past threads about acoustic basses, you'll find everyone saying those acoustics are too quiet for jams with other instruments- you have to have an amp anyway just to be heard. The acoustic basses are pretty OK for playing by yourself on the porch though. So your best bet is the portable amp, since you'd need one whether your bass was acoustic or solidbody.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Portable amp. Or Portable amp And an acoustic bass. :)

Most acoustic basses will give you - a different tone option - but not the ability to play fully unplugged.

4. Acoustic bass isn't easily heard over acoustic guitar, I wouldn't know about other acoustic intstruments.

And also since you've pointed out the pignose amps, that reminded me that pignose do a short scale bass with a built in speaker. Would that be any good?

5. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    I'd say portable amp, a good acoustic will cost you a pretty penny while the price on this amp is reasonable and, with a good bass, will probably sound better than a cheap acoustic

on the other hand, acoustics are nice to take on vacation or for playing in the yard

6. my Michael Kelly acoustic 5-string is about as loud acoustically as my Fender Jazz.. :)

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021